2 killed at Nevada middle school; witness says student sho

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by OrangeEmpire, Oct 21, 2013.

1. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

2. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Its days like this one that really makes me want to leave education. So sad, prayers for the family.

3. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Do people in general not have coping mechanisms?

How do you get to the point where murder is the only option?

4. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I think we have reached a point where society today thinks everyone owes them and when something goes wrong, human life is not longer considered by the one who has deemed himself/herself wronged. jmo

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Also, there can be a psychological "epidemic" that can happen as well. Malcolm Gladwell (I believe) wrote about this in the Tipping Point (again, I believe, been a while) where there is a country where there is an unbelievably high amount of suicides by hanging. Because it has happened so much, it unconsciously becomes the defacto method of curing what is ailing you. Girl friend dumps you? Hang yourself. Get a bad grade? Hang yourself.

Hopefully this will not turn into a trend and remains the complete outlier that is has been, historically, in the US.

EDIT: And it goes without saying, my condolences to the families that have been affected directly by this, as well as all those that are affected by it remotely.

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I understand this all too well. So many children out there that are totally hollow inside.

7. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

It's hard to even know what to say. I just hope, as Norris eludes to, that we don't become desensitized to things like this when parenting our children. I feel like I need to go ask my teenagers questions about their lives when I see these stories. I couldn't imagine.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I keep coming to the way that public schools push inclusion with special ed.