2013 Marks The 17th Year Without Global Warming.

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VolDad, Dec 20, 2013.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

3. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

Wonder what it would have looked like over the past 2,000 years or more, if orbital satillites had existed back then?

I know where you stand on the issue IP, my question to you is if we do truly have an issue on our hands, why is it so politicized to begin with, if it is without a doubt factually going to happen?

Here's a second question to that. If it is going to happen, why continue to run the data through the wringer to make different claims each time around? Why not just stop and work on something else? I get forecasting is a [itch bay], but eventually you have to say enough is enough with this issue.

Finally, if everything is true, why not focus on fixing the issue, instead of the forecasting itself? It's got to start somewhere, if it is an issue, and the constant pissing matches don't exactly help the man-made climate change community very much.

I do not want to be contentious with the questions, just asking the questions the way I see it.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I have several ideas on why it is so politicized, but not sure how to articulate them correctly. This is my own gut feeling and my own studying of humanity, so mostly made up by me and is worth about as much as the electricity it is taking to bring this to your screen. not much. I think the American ideology that the government cannot tell them what to do brings this into play. Also, because you cannot see this stuff happening very fast, nor can you really see it in one life time, people cannot believe it exists. Same thing with evolution. Also, cold snaps like we are having lead people to the wrong conclusions, same as when it is 120 degrees outside. You have no problem with gravity. You let go of a ball and it falls to the ground. Climatology is not an exact science because of chaos theory. It cannot be exact. There are just too many variables. And that bothers people.

The scientists keep running data because they want to get the best model they can. They are scientists, not politicians or policy makers. That is what they do.

Same with your last question. It is up to the people in power to do something with the data given them.

IP can give his ideas, and remember, mine are from a complete layman that knows close to nothing on climatology. I am, however, a student of human nature and that is my take on things.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

You lost me at "is going." It is happening. And has been for several decades.

It is politicized for the same reason a brain dead little girl is being politicized. Because that is how our global society works now. ESPECIALLY when money is at stake.

I am not sure if you are advocating "quitting" because forecasting is such a huge challenge. I think you are. If so, I am not sure how to respond to that.

There are several ideas on how to fix the issue. But it is hard to get much traction with them when there is a vocal minority with a lot of capital that claims there is nothing to fix.

6. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

7. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

9. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Today and the next two have cooled the earth.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Well hey there's a pleasant thought to start the day

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Only half as pleasant as that 100km wide asteroid composed mostly of nickel-iron that will hit the earth one day. :)

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Tell that to Australians!

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

luckily for us, we've got a computer sim to train people on for that eventuality

[video=youtube;WYSupJ5r2zo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYSupJ5r2zo [/video]

15. Oldvol75

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Norway and Sweden are also wondering when they are going to get their snow. It is like the circulation is flipped, with decent winter temps in Eurasia and cold death in North America.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

18. Oldvol75

19. Oldvol75

20. IP

IP Super Moderator