2016 Vol Baseball

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by Volsfan31, Feb 21, 2016.

1. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Hopefully that doesn't save Dave's job. At the same time, as a Nashvillian I will always say f*** the private school on West End.

2. Butthole

Butthole Chieftain

In terms of talking shit, yeah.

3. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Man. Swept by mizzou.

4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

It was hard to justify hiring Chris Burke a few years ago. You have no worries about that justification now. As much as I don't care for Bruce Pearl, this program needs a shot in the arm like how he did with basketball. Burke can bring that. The program is dead. No pulse.

Keep Simcox on staff and send the rest packing.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Serrano's struggles will only perpetuate so many long-standing and heretofore damaging myths at Tennessee, namely:

1. There is no certainty that hiring the "best" coach will produce significantly better results than a coach of somewhat lesser stature or success, and

2. No matter how acclaimed or successful a coach and her/his method has been employed, elsewhere, they have to be a good "fit" here, in strategy, temperament and methods, and

3. Best to keep hires "in the family" of people with previous Tennessee affiliations, or at worse, the extended SEC-family.

I couldn't possibly care less about Dave Serrano, and whether he gets fired today or falls of the earth tomorrow. I don't profess to know if he should be allowed to stay or not (although I can't ignore that several trusted others - such as NYY, Card, JQK, etc. - who do know enough to make such determinations, and seem certain that he has little business in remaining here), but his soon-to-be failed tenure will be long held and pointed to as proof-positive that you don't have to - and maybe even shoudn't - go hire the "best available coach", in baseball, or anything else.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Educate me on Burke.

Who is he, what ties does he have to TN, if any?

Why is he likely to be the next coach that we hire? Where is he at now, and whay has he done there?

What makes you think he'll be the "shot-in-the-arm" that the program needs?

What kind of a coach is he? What are his strengths and weaknesses? What were the concerns in hiring him earlier, and how have those now been assuaged?

Anyone can answer - i'm legitimately interested to know. I recognize his name, although I can't recall why, and am curious to know more about him.

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Burke played at Tennessee.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

And in the bigs with a couple of huge hits.

9. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

See italicized.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yeah I wasn't for it last go-round either, but I'd be all for it now.

They couldn't have hired a much better resume last time short of a guy who also had a real college degree

Probably time to give a guy like Burke a shot.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'm amazed Serrano isn't doing well. 2 CWS appearances and success everywhere he had been.

12. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

What's the story on the "hellhole" comment?

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

He didn't adapt.

14. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

He's made it clear that this place isn't what he expected or even likes. He vastly underestimated what he would need to do in order to turn this thing around.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

That resume was like hiring a guy from Boise St. Lotta fall back and Juco types.

16. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Todd Helton about to pull a Peyton and come home to be head coach and save the program, imo.

#vfl
    #whoelseyougunnagit

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Compared to what had just been booted out the door, his resume was tremendous.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

that's fair, but at fullerton he was getting the boise st type from the CA high school ranks.

19. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

His biggest downfall here was twofold. He didn't have a solid hitting coach on board, and his recruiting and development of pitchers was atrocious. He was directly responsible for both.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

"Gorilla ball"