2018 Talent Gap!(?)

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, May 9, 2018.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Don’t know if I’ve seen it confirmed by anyone yet - but is it now certain that we’ll be in the 3-4 next year, full time? Part time?

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I don't care if we get the death penalty and have to rebuild the program from scratch with walk-ons, I'll never be ok wit ha losing record.

I'll be ok with 6 wins, especially if we see improvement as the year goes on.

7+ and go ahead and name a street after him.

chavisut likes this.
  3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

USA today has Tenn in the 70s or something equally ridiculous.

in a recent podcast feldman and mandel talked about how your talent stinks and how a bowl game would be some sort of miracle.

i dont' get it. i guess this is what happens you have a bad season, but people seem to underestimate the butch factor.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Exactly. They always have.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's going to be a multiple defense. Taylor or Allen will be in a 3-point stance or stand up and rush the passer

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Then, when Pruitt goes 8-5 in year one, he'll be one of the greatest up and coming HCs in college football

hohenfelsvol likes this.
  7. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I just have a renewed sense of confidence now that we seemingly have an actual coaching staff lead by a real coach.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Darrell Taylor and Kongbo as dedicated stand up rushers would be great

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Off top of my head, Richmond, smith, Johnson, Tatum, Dwayna, Locklear?, Brooks, Calbert all 4 and 5 star OL according to recruiting rankings, I think.
    JG was highly rated. Kid coming in from Stanford is decent.
    I like our rbs with Ty, Jordan, and Banks coming in. Mich St transfer, I don't know much about.
    Jennings and Callaway on the outside, i'd take them against most we play. Brandon Johnson is good. Need Latrell and Jaques Jones, who can both play, to step up in the slot. TE is TE. Find a big guy that likes to block and can catch and run and roll with them. Offense obviously starts with the OL and qb. Coaching will be better of course but guys like Richmond and Tatum have looked so bad at times, its hard to see them staying low and driving on anybody. Not to mention JG.
    Phillips, Kongbo, Tuttle, Emerson, Crosby 2 5's and 3 4's?
    Bituli, Kirkland, Sapp, ignont, Taylor, JJ Peterson not all highly rated and JJ not there yet but some good players and even better with coaching. Haven't seen a UT lb play worth a flip for years so i'm concerned here.
    Who knows on safety. Micah still back there and he looks like a 4 year old playing center field trying to track a ball at times. Theo Jackson could be really good. Nigel, he could be a nice version of that hybrid db that bama plays all over. CB we are thin, so they have to get coached up. Shamburger is solid, but the rest are ?'s. I did think Alontae Taylor looked like a natural. I don't know that he will stay over there, but he's a former qb and wr, so he has that mindset, and he's played some D. He also is very quick and great burst. Carried himself like a db that knew what he was doing.

Tenacious D likes this.
  10. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

There’s enough talent to play competitive in most games. It may not show for the first 2/3 of the year with the growing pains but a sweep in November should be attainable.

11. Ssmiff

so if our starting lineup is similar to what I posted, we will have a higher average ranking than the starting lineup for Clemson when they beat Bama, with more 4 and 5 stars on the field offensively and defensively

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The recruiting rankings, amount of money spent on football, and results comparisons for UT and Clemson will make one cry. It's pathetic.

justingroves likes this.
  13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Bituli, Kirkland and Sapp were pretty highly rated at linebacker coming out of high school

14. Ssmiff

15. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

16. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

Fulmer wasn’t going to hire someone that was going to run a finesse offense.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Cutcliffe’s second stint was pretty finesse.

18. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

We still had an H-back/fullback and ran from under center.

No more running from shotgun spread on the goal line, I think.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Cut put a WR in at QB and tried to spread out the defense with five wide from like the two yard line.

justingroves likes this.
  20. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I like a nice gap.