2019 Lady Vols

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by YankeeVol, Jan 24, 2019.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Pat changed the game. I'll readily admit that. But now there are more than two good teams in women's basketball. She had a big hand in that.

But going from limb to limb on her tree is going to take some time and will never give the results the LVM want. But the flannel crew got what they want and will now hopefully keep their buzz-cuts where they belong and nowhere near the sports that matter.

utvol0427 likes this.
  2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

It feels good to have that connection still in tact to Pat. Its understandable why fans feel comfortable with that. Its like hanging on to personal items after a family member passes. But that by itself doesn't win basketball games at the level that is expected. Even if you re not expecting Pat's bar.

I hope Kelly succeeds and you get the best of both worlds. I think it actually helps that they have slid back some and Kelly is not following Pat. Its still a big ask of her at this point but it removes some of the pressure.

Poppa T and NYY like this.
  3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

more details please

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I had to go to a post game press conference after a loss where they looked bad. They didn't play defense or rebound up to her standards.

She spoke for all of 30 seconds, then stared. I never have felt more scared to speak in my life.

I also watched her dress down a 300 pound defensive tackle that was dating one of her players. He was struggling, Fulmer told him he would turn him over to Coach if he didn't straighten up. She chewed his ass in the middle of Gibbs at lunch time, then gave him a hug.

She was an extremely nice and respectful person, though. She treated us, at the student radio station, like we were big time media every time she came on.

lylsmorr and A-Smith like this.
  5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

This is exactly why you don't get coaches from her tree. She coached by force of personality and you can't simply replicate this, you just have it or you don't.

6. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

I was a student trainer and we were working one of her summer camps. They used to be so big that TBA and the HPER were way to small to house all the campers. They used to rent local gyms out and you would bounce around. This was a team camp I believe. Anyway, I was one of the more experienced of the students, so they sent me out to my own facility for the AM. They had me take one of the LV managers to set up and had another ride with campers.

I wanna say that we were going to South Doyle. It was pretty early in the AM. Get close to the school and some old man pulls out in front me as I enter an intersection on a green light. We have a wreck. I had a smaller car. Manager was tall. Our injuries were minor for the most part, mostly burns from the air bags.

They have use report back to campus and send directly to the campus health center where the team doc was waiting to check us out. I walk in first and see the stare and I vaguely remember her asking about her manager. Then she looked right past me and walked over to the manager and checked on him. Lol, after learning the manager was ok, she came back and checked on me... explained that she made the same promises to the managers families to look after them and treat them like her own just as she did with her players families.

During one of those same style camps, the players used to pick an elite camper or two and have them do some open run with them after sessions were over. Some of the male practice players would mix in. I remember Michelle Munoz had just enrolled that summer. Her dad, Anthony, was chilling in the stands right behind me, as I was chosen to stay that night if they needed anything. He was joking me and a manager about his daughter. She was getting after it with a male manager in the post....then the guy posts her up on the other end and accidentally catches her in the nose with a elbow....damn near broke it... Dad just laughed.. Michelle was tough.. Kid was literally about to shart himself because he thought Summitt was going to murder him.... All ended well for all parties though ..lol

justingroves and A-Smith like this.
  7. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Didn't realize this was her. Cool story.

A-Smith likes this.
  8. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I made a cameo appearance in a non traditional way in the documentary that video was cut from.

One of my few claims to fame.

9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Nice stories. Thanks for typing that out. That her players really loved her is obvious.

GoVols2003 likes this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

the premise of the tweet and the reactions are cult-like. the women's basketball program is one casual bet away from being the next scientology

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

You know, I too have stared out a plane window before. It must be common for great coaches to do that.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Can I have your autograph?

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'm holding an autograph session at Slick Pig BBQ in Murfreesboro this coming Tuesday. First come, first serve.

14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I don't get it. Are they saying their faces look alike? They both have crow's feet and square faces...so I guess

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

they both use airplanes.

A-Smith likes this.
  16. We've been down this road before...

[​IMG]

Poppa T, NorrisAlan, IP and 1 other person like this.
  17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Great coaches sit in an aisle seat

18. Unimane

To be a little fair to Harper, Butch set up this moment because he was a phony piece of shit while I don't think Harper had anything to do with that pose.

Poppa T, reverendgeneral and IP like this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

0% has to do with Harper. it's all generated by the LV flock

20. Unimane

Cornelius has always been one of the flock posing as a journalist, too.