2019 Lady Vols

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by YankeeVol, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The sad part is the she's killing it on the recruiting trail as far as the recruits go and has all these AAs, McDonald's Game players and still loses because her incompetence is that bad. Imagine if she coached at a program just a slight step lower than one without the cache of Tennessee to sell to kids. She'd be at Wade Houston levels.

NYY likes this.
  2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

By the high standards set by her own success, Pat's last 3 years didn't hit the normal bar in the finish. 1 Sweet 16, and 2 Final 8's. Even tho she went a combined 93-15 (43-5).

Holly's biggest problem at this point (7 seasons in) is this is now her program and she's not even matching the low end of the success Pat had. I don't think anyone here expected her to take the small step back up to making Final 4s regularly and getting AA championships from where they were in Pat's final 3 seasons.

Her best 3 seasons come on the heels of replacing Pat going to the Sweet 16 once and the Final 8 twice. Since then she has gone the wrong direction and that is accelerating this year.

Crazy stat - Holly has lost 8 conference games this year (with 2 left to play). Pat lost 8 total between 97'-98' and 07'-08'.

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Wade Houston produced Allan.

She has produced nothing but licking assistants.

4. Beechervol

Thats enough to tell you that a solid "coaching" hire could put them back in the top group and it wouldn't take long.

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

A solid hire and Lady Vols could easily compete with the other three good teams in the ‘AA.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Holly Warlick is what can easily happen when you let an out-going coach pick their successor.

Remember this well in a few years, when Barnes hangs it up.

7. Unimane

So, what you're saying is, Summitt in a diminished mental capacity with a progressively degenerative disease which would kill her in a few years coached circles around Warlick?

8. Unimane

I said at the time you don't hire Paul Schaeffer to replace David Letterman. How many hand picked replacements of legends actually work out. I wasn't even born yet and I have nightmares about Vince Lombardi handing the reigns over to Phil Bengston.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Man, treating a lady whose jersey is retired like this. Imagine what they'd threat an outsider like. No way I'm letting my client touch this job if I'm an agent.

10. CardinalVol

In fairness, she was only supposed to be there like 3-5 years until Tyler got his feet wet at LA Tech.

Instead, Tyler decided to get his [penis] wet and screwed the whole plan.

justingroves likes this.
  11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Thank God he had the impulse control of a 2 year old.

12. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Maybe that’s the NEW plan... let Holly run the program so far into the ground UT would be OK with hiring Tyler to resurrect not only the LV’s, but his own reputation...

It would be an absolute disaster of course, since he is nowhere near his mother in coaching ability. He’s probably less able than Holly, tbh...

13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

You all have convinced me. I'll support the firing of Holly if it means Tyler takes over.

14. Beechervol

Holly didn't need to be the elite Pat Head. Just the good/ok Pat Head. She was for 3 years.

Be a very different discussion had Holly's first few seasons been reversed with the the last few.

15. Beechervol

I don't totally disagree with that idea in general, especially given Pat's condition at the time. And Im not totally sure the decision is a different one if she's healthy or the admin makes it themselves without her input.

Having said that, (if Pat was healthy and of sound mind) who else are you looking to if not her to help you make that decision if she's retiring?

16. Beechervol

Im not sold that he really wanted to do that. Even if he was better prepared.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

He loves pink. It's in the genes.

utvol0427 and Indy like this.
  18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Haha

He's a very good coach. He'll never coach women again, though

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Somehow the team made the tourney as an 11 seed. What a joke.

20. CardinalVol

#istandwithcoachwarlick

justingroves likes this.