POLITICS 2020 Election

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by CardinalVol, Nov 7, 2018.

1. cpninja

cpninja Member

i'm here for anyone getting dragged on twitter for fetishizing "middle america" values but it's pretty silly to slam Pete specifically over it

IP likes this.
  2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

i thought it was used to sell you were from a hard working responsible background.

I don’t see anything of that as negative

3. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Right. I always thought of it as ordinary folk like me growing up in rural TN. And if you're talking specifically about your values I don't see anything wrong withe contrasting the heartland with DC. I think taking that as meaning it's the only place to develop a better vision than DC politics is a massive stretch. It's a clear case of 'looking to get offended' to me. But then this is the 'PC run amok' world in which we're living.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I dislike that implies this is unique to the midwest. It isn't. There are hard working and responsible people in the South, in the Southwest, on the West Coast, and on the East Coast too. In fact, the midwest gets a lot of subsidies and you can't talk about ethanol or corn off your knees without them getting pissed off, so I reject any notion about the midwest being some magical land of self-sufficiency and super great values compared to anywhere else in America.

TennTradition likes this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

More than half the country lives in large cities and they're tired of having people denigrate them when they carry the economy.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That those in the cities should stop putting in place regulations and policies that knee cap rural America.

We’ve basically killed a way of life outside the cities by pushing big AG and corporate farms and crippled strong communities throughout this country.

Then we wonder why we have a crisis with middle age men in this country with pain pills and suicide.

While the corporate media just laughs at and belittle them and their life style.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh ya, Big AG, totally the city vote... Give me a break.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It doesn’t matter if you accept it or not.

Starting in the late 50’s and 60’s it has been get big or get out of agriculture from the USDA.

Watch the documentary Look and see or read some of Wendell Berry‘s writings.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Let's go to Kansas or Iowa and try to tell people that their rabid and persistent support of Big Ag-supporting policies demonstrate that they are urban dwellers.

It's not about me having to believe it or not. It's about Iowa voters' issues and what they want. If you are trying to say they support policies that actually hurt them, I totally agree. If you think NYC or LA voters are big fans of Big Ag, uh, no. That's rural voters propping it up due to effective lobbying from industry.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It's a complicated issue. That's full of cronyism and bullshit laws in the name of safety that adds to the cost to squeeze out competition.

Both parties are tied to the system and are at fault.

4 companies own 85 percent of all meat production in this country due to our policies that have killed small and medium size packing houses.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

https://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.php?ind=G2300

This what the GOP does.

12. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Right, but how was that denigrating folks living in large cities? Also, there are large cities in the 'heartland'. It's not all rural.

I guess I don't get how merely mentioning the 'heartland' makes you a racist shitting on everyone not from the heartland. I grew up in east TN and I give the people/community there a lot of credit in helping shape the values I hold today. I'm very proud of where I come from, rural as it is.

That certainly doesn't mean it's the best place to grow up nor does it make me a better person, but I also shouldn't be demonized for speaking highly about it. I've lived in large cities and loved them. Met many people I consider better than me who grew up in challenging neighborhoods in those cities. I didn't/wouldn't find it offensive when they spoke highly of their neighborhoods and how they shaped their values. It just seems like folks are desperate to find offense. We're losing our minds over the dumbest things; this is no longer progress.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think it makes Pete anything. They all say it.

Tell you what: go to Iowa or kansas and tell them East Tennessee is in the heartland. See what they say. It will be eye opening.

14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Nah, gotta drag 'em all or you don't really mean it when you do it.

cpninja likes this.
  15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Gcb it may not matter to you but if you saw the main group of middle age golfers I hang out with, you, well maybe not you but many, would assume their thoughts. I haven't heard anybody ever mention or text anything about him even being gay. Nobody cares. And these are guys labeled as racist bigots due to how they vote and look.

gcbvol likes this.
  16. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

18. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I would be [uck fay]ing furious if on the other side. While I did take girlish delight in the clips from Nevada in '16, what that gang did to Bernie and his supporters was wrong.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

the GOP still has unpledged delegates, so be mad I guess.

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

A good one.

upload_2020-2-3_15-1-32.jpeg