POLITICS 2020 Election

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by CardinalVol, Nov 7, 2018.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

there are some limited instances where people have their company name in their social media, but the majority are people finding out where they are working and doxxing them.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

So?

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i was responding directly to your point that if people have their company name in their social media that's on them. most don't have their company name in their social media.

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I think its pretty childish to find a guy...dox him, then make it public where it works. Then ask his company, "how could you employ this guy?" .... "he's a horrible representative of your company..." when the guy wasn't out representing the company until you doxed him because you didn't like what he was saying.

I do think that leaders set culture. And if this guy is a leader in your company and you don't like what he is saying, then he probably needs to go. Low-level guy who isn't causing problems but posted something on an anonymous account that made someone angry and then they campaign against him? Seems like silly intimidation to me. I don't like it.

NorrisAlan and droski like this.
  5. fl0at_

My point was as stated. If you have company XXX in your social media, be prepared to represent the company in all that you do. Full stop.

If you don't, you still represent the company, so go talk to them and see what they are willing to allow you to do. Full stop.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the "everyone must agree with me or be punished" is an interesting thing going on

7. fl0at_

It is childish to dox someone. But it's on you that you didn't have a conversation with HR before hand.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

what if you weren't even working for the company when it happened? many of these posts are from years ago.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'd bet 60 days ago HR would have told you you wouldn't get fired by posting all lives matter on your facebook.

10. fl0at_

Talk to HR. Show them the posts. Determine if scrub, or prepare statement.

If it is so bad that you can't show it to HR, that's on you.

11. fl0at_

Then you have documentation that your lawyer can use in a wrongful termination suit.

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think this is all just a reactionary time to things that we have never had to deal with before. 20 years ago, it was just said around the watercooler or to your friends in the street. Now, you tell your "friends" "Tuck Frump!" and now not just your friends see it, but the entire world.

I think it will all settle down eventually as new laws and new ways of thinking come on line. For right now, it is going to be rough.

13. TennTradition

I also think it is highly counterproductive to shut down posts like that by trying to "out" them or get them fired.

Also, let's not move the goal posts here too much. How many people are really getting fired for saying all lives matter?

In many (most? all?) cases it is something worse, and something that a company has a hard time not acting around.

Gundy is an interesting example. I think the national folks just need to sit back and shut up with their opinions. Highlight the players and recruits. Focus on them and their story. And let Gundy manage the situation - his ability to do it will determine whether he stays employed.

Yet you have national folks jumping in "he has to be fired." That's stupid, IMO.

IP likes this.
  14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The Drew Brees case was interesting as well. I believe his comments were just that he would never get behind kneeling during the national anthem. And even after he apologized, that still wasn't good enough for a lot of people.

15. TennTradition

The biggest problem I had was that in the current climate, he chose to use his platform to talk about his opinion of kneeling right vs. wrong to address a question of whether in this climate he thought there would be more kneeling this year. To me, it just felt tone deaf to what was currently happening.

gcbvol likes this.
  16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm sure not many people are getting fired, but the "everyone has to think the way i do" culture is scary.

Indy and NorrisAlan like this.
  17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

All the cancel culture does is alienate people. Did Drew Brees or Mike Gundy actually feel remorse or recognize an error in their ways as a result of the way they were approached over what they said? No, of course not.

Call people out privately. Why couldn't Gundy's player have come to him privately and attempted to have a discussion with him?

Calling people out in public and forcing them to conform to your view does nobody any good. All it does is prevent the free flow of ideas and viewpoints and force those ideas and viewpoints under ground/behind your back, which means the problem, if it even exists, hasn't actually been corrected.

18. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Agree. I like Brees a lot and believe he is a genuinely wonderful person, but it was tone deaf. He had a blind spot pointed out, recognized and apologized for it. He handled about as well as he could post initial comments.

19. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Regardless of what Bolton's book contains or the validity of his claims, the man is a massive POS.

IP, fl0at_ and NorrisAlan like this.
  20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I disagree with this approach. I should be free to call out any stupid idea you (the general you) may have, but what I shouldn't do is demand that those around you ostracize you and basically make a pariah out of you.