POLITICS 2020 Election

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by CardinalVol, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm not saying you shouldn't be free to call any stupid idea out. But if your main goal is to convince that person that their idea/opinion is stupid (or just wrong, racist, homophobic, evil, etc.) and that they should change their idea/opinion, then calling them out publicly is not an effective way to do it. Because whether you demand that others ostracize that person or not, others are going to ostracize that person because virtue signaling is what people do now. And all that's going to do is alienate that person and put them on the defensive.

But if you approach them privately and allow the opportunity for a conversation and an understanding, they might actually move towards reforming their idea/opinion, which leads to actual change.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Why do you think people are willing to change privately, when there is no pressure to do so?

justingroves likes this.
  3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

You don't argue with a 'stache like that though.

gcbvol likes this.
  4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

You don't get to choose the messenger and this is such a polarized moment the responses to the allegations will be viewed through very skewed lens, but, damn, those are some enormously bad charges of Trump by Bolton. No wonder Mr. "Most Transparent Government in History" would want to block their publication. Bolton, though, still an asshole.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't think all people are willing to change privately. But I think you'll see a higher percentage of change take place when people are approached privately than if called out publicly, especially in this day and age when you can sincerely point to having done the person a favor by coming to them privately rather than publicly. I think people, for the most part, genuinely WANT to be good and are open to changing their ideas/opinions if presented with a legitimately better option. But if you try to force a different idea or opinion down their throats, they immediately become less open to the idea.

And for me, personally, if that person doesn't want to change, so be it. I don't think others should be beholden to my set of viewpoints or morals just because I want them to agree with me. If I'm that player, for example, and I talk with Gundy privately and he refuses to change, then I have to decide if I want to continue playing for the man or not.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Generally you are never going to "change" someone's mind, publicly or privately. Not right away. In fact, on average, they will double down. I do it, you do it, most people do it. It is human nature. But if you say in public, using your public platform, that the world is really floating on a sea of beer and is saddle shaped, not spherical, then I reserve the right to call you out in public. Not to convince you, because I cannot, but to be a voice to others that are listening to you.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Bolton's either lying/embellishing and betraying the country, or withheld significant material information during the inquiry for financial gain and is betraying the country. OR both. Could be both. Either way, 100% of Americans should view him as a scumbag and no one should buy his book.

zehr27, gcbvol and NorrisAlan like this.
  8. Unimane

I'd have little doubt it's on the betraying the country side. Two massive douches and blights on our country. Would love for the trash to take out the trash, but it won't be the case, unfortunately.

9. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

My man!

zehr27, NorrisAlan and IP like this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

It can be nothing else. There are no options of any level of probability. One way or the other, he is betraying the American people. For money.

11. fl0at_

Yup, but sadly, we're gonna use whatever is in it as ammunition for some argument.

But at least we're gonna steal it.

12. CardinalVol

I normally roll my eyes at these books for what they are.

For whatever reason, this one just is appealing.

13. CardinalVol

Side note, but she was mentioned in an article I read -

What are the odds that Kayleigh McEnany got her gig by screwing Trump?

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I didn't say I don't care what is in it. I'll let the reviewers with their reviewers' copies fill me in. I'm not giving him or his publisher money.

gcbvol likes this.
  15. Unimane

I don't know if he can, anymore, but I'm sure she's willing.

16. NorrisAlan

Modern medicine. Little Blue Pill of Fun.

17. fl0at_

I'd say he needs to ask his doctor if his heart is healthy enough for sex, but they'll just tell him he has the best heart.

18. Unimane

There's also a book coming out by his niece, I think, about his dealings and her insider status as a family member. He's threatening to sue, as well, for a violation of a NDA. I've never seen anyone have so many NDAs. Does he carry them in his back pocket for people to sign before talking to them?

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's bizarre to me that a niece would know the inner workings and financing of his company as the book publishers claim she does.

justingroves likes this.
  20. NorrisAlan

I have no clue, but maybe her dad/mom (?) did and she learned through them.

Who knows.

droski likes this.