POLITICS 2020 Election

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by CardinalVol, Nov 7, 2018.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Defend yourself.

Sarcasm, and especially pretending it is what you believe, makes any kind of discussion nearly impossible.

2. NorrisAlan

I argue his press conferences and interviews are even worse than his tweeting.

Social media is new and is a complete cesspool 90% of the time, but it isn't to blame for our current political situation. It started long before social media.

3. NorrisAlan

I've argued Trump belongs in the 19th Century. And we have had worse, particularly in 1861. But let's be honest, that is a pretty low bar.

Is there a worse transition since 1900?

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Intolerance of others opinions is a much bigger factor which makes discussions nearly impossible or not worth the effort.

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Do you still take a horse to work?

That's why.

Because times have changed, and people have changed. And now, anyone can prove anything, ANYTHING is true, to themselves, via a simple Google search.

And those people vote.

6. fl0at_

If Trump didn't have Twitter, he'd say something stupid:

On radio, on TV, to a newspaper, or any other outlet.

Exactly as he has.

And yet, another deflection, and a non answer to the question: How can you blame the words of social media... but not the words of the President? How do you justify that?

7. NorrisAlan

What you usually call intolerance is people asking you to show a modicum of evidence for your opinion.

You say liver and onions is the greatest meal on earth, that is an honest opinion and you have no way of proving it other than your testimony.

You say aliens are abducting minks and replacing them with zombie minks, well, that requires a bit more than 'its my opinion'. You have to have a reason to believe it and people are going to ask where you got that idea and what is your evidence.

Objective facts cannot be an opinion, only subjective ones.

fl0at_ likes this.
  8. fl0at_

What opinion out there is logical and should be accepted as equal to an opposite opinion?

9. Ssmiff

Doesnt matter unless its yours. Everybody else is an idiot. We all know it.

10. fl0at_

Deflection. All day, deflection. It's been a trifecta of deflection.

11. Ssmiff

Remind me what im deflecting to or from.

12. fl0at_

The question. Here, I'll ask it again, so you don't have to work to see it:

What opinion out there is logical and should be accepted as equal to an opposite opinion?

13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

There are arguments to be made for Hoover to FDR; or Clinton to Bush.

14. fl0at_

Clinton to Bush was held up by a single state deciding the election. Which isn't true of now.

I have no idea about Hoover to FDR.

15. NorrisAlan

I will give you Hoover to FDR.

Clinton to Bush was a product of a ridiculously close election in Florida, not to mention the shit show that was Florida electoral methods back then. I don't think it was a result of the existing administration stonewalling the transfer. Doesn't make it less of a horrible transition, but not one resulting from malice or insanity.

16. Ssmiff

That question was 2 posts ago. You said id been deflecting all day.
    I already answered. But to add, opinion validity shouldnt be based on political stance, nor should people be apprehensive about speaking their mind.

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

How does that argument work for those trying to change the 2nd Amendment? (i.e., we don't shoot muskets anymore). Last I checked we still go by the Constitution then and now.

But since you are the arbiter of what time period counts and what does not; why did you choose my age and not your childs? Perhaps because, because it don't mean anything. We are still covered by the Constitution whether we travel by horse, car, or jet pack.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    zehr27 likes this.
  18. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The Clinton Administration also gave Bush the daily briefings, the ones Trump denied for weeks to Biden, after Election Day in 2000 because they realized the need if Bush was declared the winner. The further we get from the Trump years, the more we are likely to realize just how simply inept and damaging his time in office was.

19. NorrisAlan

I want a jet pack

20. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

As the nation awaited the result, the General Services Administration, the agency tasked with smoothing the transition to the new president, withheld "ascertainment" from both candidates. The decision delayed implementation of the Presidential Transition Act, which provides for office space and equipment as well as funds to support the incoming administration. However, Bush did receive classified briefings (and Gore received them as vice president). Still, in 2004, the 9/11 Commission found that this slow transition "hampered" the new administration's ability to place key officials in national security roles.

Yet the drama was not over -- President Bill Clinton's administration did not go quietly into the night. Allegations surfaced that personnel ripped phones from the walls, defaced bathrooms, and, perhaps most childishly, removed the letter "W" from keyboards in White House computers (Clinton staffers denied many of the claims). The General Accounting Office issued a report estimating some $15,000 worth of damages.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/17/opin...transitions-hurt-america-balcerski/index.html