POLITICS 2020 Election

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by CardinalVol, Nov 7, 2018.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

IP needs to sit in on some of my client meetings.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

and yet it was known. and yet there were congressional hearings on these topics. perhaps you mistake popular knowledge with knowledge.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

so you went from working like 80 hours a week to 60 or 50? c'mon, it isn't like you retired early.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

What is your logic here?

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

that he is still working, and reducing his hours from really high to just high doesn't equate to not working.

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

That’s not what you said. You said taxes were not an incentive to earn less, and kmf gave you a very real example of why that is false

7. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

If there are congressional hearings and a national conversation about drugs in year 1, and there is still a large drug problem facing our country in year 25, the problem is not necessarily the same, whoever is most responsible isn’t the same, the factors that led to the problem aren’t necessarily the same. Why is that a difficult concept?

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

let me elaborate:

there is presumably some maximum number of hours a person could work in a year. yes, on an hourly basis of compensation, at some point the return per hour of effort would be smaller due to reaching a higher marginal rate.

I get that. and so it might no longer be worth it personally for an individual at that rate per time of effort.

but not everyone is compensated by a set rate per time of effort. folks who are compensated by commission, sales, value of output, etc. which are the people who would be bumping into high marginal tax rates most frequently, are not going to have a direct relationship towards time and effort. it becomes more about talent, skill, knowledge, organization, etc. the margins change but growth would still be beneficial without requiring necessarily more individual effort directly.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

we were speaking in the context of a 70% marginal rate on 10 million dollar income and up. If he is making that kind of money on an hourly wage, [dadgum].

see above, I elaborate. I concede that if someone is being compensated directly tied to your of effort, there could be a point on which they no longer feel the compensation is worth the time.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It takes a great deal of effort and risk to elevate your business into a higher bracket. You are absolutely deincentivizing people to make that investment if it's going to be taxed at greater than 50%.

kmf600, justingroves and lylsmorr like this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

the world doesn't reset every year. there is a connection and indeed a progression to drug problems then to now.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

more market share for someone else.

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Compensation isn't just tied to effort. It's also tied to rarity and demand of your job and/or skills. Which is why I think capitalism is the best venue for an economy of free people.

It's ok to admit that some jobs are less valuable/rare/in demand than others, and that group of jobs changes over time.

14. RockyHill

A connection or progression is a far cry from thing A people knew about in 1985 causing thing B in 2019.

15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

What are you talking about? Are you suggesting a business owner bring in someone else to your business to make profit off of what you've built?

And if there were people out there willing and/or capable of taking those market shares, there is nothing in the way of said person starting a similar business and taking the market shares based on how they market, run, etc.

Capitalism, baby.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

thing A was known in 1985, went unaddressed, has now led to B.

you're arguing "causing", I said "led to". a connection or progression, and "led to."

you are way down in the semantics weeds, if you thing "led to" is a far cry from connection or progression. given that we never made it to a specific example, it seems you are locked in on just the semantics in a vacuum of a specific example in which to even evaluate those words.

so okay. I like to post, too.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I was talking about competition, hence the "someone else." yes, baby. capitalism. I have never in my life advocated for anything but a capitalist economic system, over all.

18. RockyHill

That’s the oversimplification I don’t agree with, that’s all. Not to say it isn’t that simple for some issues, but for most it definitely isn’t.

19. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

The more I learn about him, I could see myself voting for the governor of Maryland, Larry Hogan. And yes, he's a Repulican.

I'm not on board at this time, but there's a lot about him I like.

20. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Pete Buttigieg is the best of the current Democratic candidates, and by a good bit. Listen to/read his interviews; he's extremely impressive.