POLITICS 2020 Election

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by CardinalVol, Nov 7, 2018.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

My grandmother thought she was Native American. If we had dna tested her, she would have been very much mistaken.

I'm not sure about Warren's history with ancestory, but being mistaken is not the same as lying. If she was shown to not be, and continued, that is different. If she was shown to not be, and stopped, she was just wrong.

I think you are mistaken on the public school thing. She was misleading, but not incorrect.

All of her children attended, at least one day, of public school.

2. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

We had that "Cherokee" ancestor too. None of us ever went so far as to ever try to use it to get ahead despite there being opportunities. She's either a liar or at least kinda dumb.

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

There's nothing to support she used Native American ancestry to get ahead. Tenny is, at best, loose with facts and the truth with politicians with views he doesn't like.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

disagree. she listed it on her employment application and allowed the school to refer to her as their first female professor of color. neither happens if she's not using it to get ahead. my grandmother used to claim we had slave ancestors. you didn't see me list African american on my employment applications.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I prefer bad liars in my medical doctors, bosses, colleagues, and subordinates. I prefer bad liars in my opponents. I do not like being effectively lied to.

That being said, there is an explanation for every one of the alleged lies you listed.

Enjoy your great liars lying to you effectively, I guess.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

But did she use it to try and get ahead, or is that a claim made by opponents looking retrospectively? the schools say it wasn't even a factor.

Keep in mind, to qualify for aid/benefits you have to file a claim with tribal membership. She never did, so how was she getting ahead?

7. fl0at_

Depends on whether you believe it, or not, and whether you understand genetics.

My mother said something once regarding my son, and I had to explain... even if your mom was 1/4, that makes you 1/8th, me 1/16th, him 1/32nd.

But I know that she wasn't 1/4, because both her parents were Irish.

And I think then it kind of sunk in. Oh. Math.

8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Political rhetoric at the least. We've tread this tire before on here. She at least used it in her application to the Bar Association at some point. If she hadn't brought it up herself, I doubt her opponents would have dug it up until recently.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

her bringing it up makes it seem more likely to be a sincere belief, imo.

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

That's what I'm getting at. It wouldn't surprise me if I had an ancestor at some point back up my ancestral tree that was Native American, but looking at the closest branches, it's obvious none of us were anything close to being NA.

11. fl0at_

Not liked that moved the needle on her being accepted to the bar, though.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I honestly believe she was naive in the start. I'd guess her biggest fault was not getting out ahead of it sooner and the DNA test mess.

13. fl0at_

Yea, I agree. Nobody looks at me and thinks Native American.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn my mom did it on her college application. Because she believed her mom.

It wasn't until her smart ass son showed her to be wrong that she probably even considered the possibility that she wasn't.

warhammer likes this.
  14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Maybe. I don't know about such things or her intentions there.

15. fl0at_

I don't know what it was like back then, but it seems these days admission to the Bar is pretty well automatic, and then there are things that get you excluded.

Kinda like everyone is in, and then you are filtered out.

And being Native American wouldn't have been a filter out filter, so it would have had no impact.

16. Unimane

In what way was she getting ahead by which she would not have been able to do so otherwise? And, what is there to suggest she didn't believe she was part Native American after being told she was?

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's pretty obvious that her being a person of color was a major deal for the university. otherwise they wouldn't have made such a thing of it. it's naive to assume it didn't help her get the position. she listed herself as native american. one thing to believe you are part native american, another thing to put you are 100% native american and identify as native american.

18. Unimane

It's not naïve if it's not true, which is what the Boston Globe discovered, particularly since she didn't start identifying as such until after she was hired.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/na...complicated/wUZZcrKKEOUv5Spnb7IO0K/story.html

I really can't believe this story has had this much play.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

she put it on her employment application. you really think harvard is going to come out and say they hired her because she claimed to be native american?

20. Unimane

"The Globe also reviewed, for the first time, a Harvard University human resources form showing that Warren first listed her ethnicity as Native American nearly five months after she started her tenured position at Harvard and 2½ years after she was there as a visiting professor and first offered the job."

"Penn, records show, had been courting Warren for some time. In 1984, before she was listed by AALS as a minority, the school had offered to have her visit for a year, according to a document reviewed by the Globe."

"The Globe reviewed a never-before-reported 10-page faculty equal opportunity compliance statement form filled out by Penn’s law school’s affirmative action officer and the dean in April 1987. The form described the extensive efforts the school made to find a black, Hispanic, Asian, or American Indian candidate for the commercial law position Warren had landed.

The document, which was shared with the Globe by Stephen Burbank, a law professor at Penn who kept it for three decades in a box with other personnel files, concludes that Warren was the best for the job despite being, as they put it, “white.”"

No, it's a bullshit narrative. You want it to be true, but everyone involved, even those who didn't like her, say it wasn't.

Again, one of the biggest nonsense issues I've seen gain traction in a presidential campaign.