2020 recruiting

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by justingroves, Dec 21, 2018.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

We have been getting lawn gnome whispers about a potential commitment from a spelling bee runner up out of Saskatchewan. 4 moon recruit, but expected to get a bump once his braces come out.

2. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

We offered a third Whitehaven LB Friday. Sounds like we might push for the trio. Two already committed to Miss St and Arky.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

are we even going to sign a full class? have at least 11 to go. No idea where they are going to come from

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Knoxville, Chattanooga, Memphis and Georgia

chavisut likes this.
  5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

What’s the earliest that Bailey can sign?

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Early signing period is December 18th

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

One of the big guys at LB we were after, Savell Smalls, committed to Washington the other day.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Better than UGA

9. Tenacious D

Could someone who follows recruiting give a quick synopsis of where the 2020 class currently stands, insofar as the most important targets on our board?

I think that everyone, whether “in” or “out” on Pruitt, can agree that his future at Tennessee will be largely determined by this next class.

If it’s stellar (Top 5) class, and he can quickly make something of it, then I’d say he’ll live to see a fourth year, and likely beyond.

If it’s average for SEC schools (Top 10-20), then I’d say he’d better win 9 games next season, bare minimum, or he likely won’t see Year 4.

If it completely falls apart, and slips out of the Top 25, it’s possible - unlikely, but possible - that he won’t even make it to Year 3. If this class falls apart AND he EITHER shits the bed early or isn’t legitimately competitive vs UF / UGA / BAMA, I’d say that there is a fantastic chance that he isn’t around to finish next year, his third season.

Quick aside: My currently favorite pet conspiracy theory is that if this class falls apart, they will let Pruitt go early to mid-season and let Fulmer take over the rest of the way, which not only mollifies his many fans, but which also “requires” him to step down as AD. The same old Tennessee crew then resumes their position of power and spends literally half of next season hiring both an AD and a head coach.

I honestly believe that the 2020 class is THIS important - but beyond Bailey, I don’t know a damned thing about it. And I don’t even know much about him, tbh, other than he’s #1 on our board.

So, I’m game to watch this closely, if any of you are kind enough to help us to know who and what to specifically watch as the recruiting process unfolds, toward the Early Signing Period on Dec. 18th, and which is now only some 79 days away.

10. Tenacious D

Edited to include accurate numbers:

Also, for those scoring at home, Fulmer (152) trails The General (173) in most all-time wins as head coach at Tennessee, and needs 21 more to tie and 22 to take the crown.*

So, if that is Fulmer’s ultimate goal - and I can’t argue that it isn’t - an in-season interim tag won’t get it done, barring an undefeated season. He’ll need to win several games as interim and then talk them into a contract that extends to a second season, at the very least, if that’s his penultimate aim.

Just FYI.

* I’d normally ask TennTra to verify these figures, but as he’s recently turned stupid at math, I’ll just present the unaudited findings, instead, and hope for the best.

EDIT: I’ve edited the post to reflect the correct data. I apologize that @TennTradition was too stupid at math to have caught the error in time.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Who is included in this same old Tennessee crew, and what positions do they occupy?

Edit: I'm not disagreeing or planning to. I just like a good conspiracy theory.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Those numbers are way off. Phil has 151 wins or there about. I think 204 may be total games coached.

Edit: Just off the top of my head, he'd need more than a season to catch the General and good ones at that to do it in under 4.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Fulmer has 152 wins, Neyland has 173 wins. It's like you showed up to hold an AA meeting with gold paint sprayed on your mouth.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Pruitt needs to land Tyler Baron and Jay Hardy on the dline. Omari Thomas and Octavious Oxendine are two other targets. They would take all 4.

He needs another receiver, they're going all in on Arik Gilbert. Jalin Hyatt is a speed guy that is committed. Darion Williamson was a camp commit, he's had a good senior year.

He needs another pass rusher. They are in a rock fight with South Carolina for Reggie Grimes.

He needs an offensive tackle, he's got 3 good interior olinemen.

He's got two good dbs and the #1 rated juco corner. Calloway is a 4 star athlete that could be a DB or a receiver too.

He needs linebackers. Tennessee is in a good spot for Len'neth Whitehead. They went hard for Bryson Eason, who grew up a Tennessee fan and has now offered the other two linebackers he plays with at White Haven. All 3 are good, so he could possibly fill up from one school. Noah Sewell is the big fish, but I think he's a pass rusher in this defense.

He needs a speed running back.

The class seems fairly solid but there are holes in it.

Tenacious D and chavisut like this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

he's shown already that he can find overlooked guys. Banks was a 3 star and has been an instant contributor on both sides of the ball.

It really is the Butch guys who stand out as problems.

16. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I dont know about Grimes. Hes the biggest on the field and should physically dominate on defense, but is far from dominant in 3 games ive watched. He looks like the average speed and intensity level player we've had up there for a few years.
    No idea why UT cant find more lbs. Only 6 on scholarship now and none committed. JJ peterson up to 3rd string by default

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tennessee hasn't heavily recruited Grimes, but they keep in touch. Clemson told him no and Alabama hasn't tried yet and doesn't appear to want him. South Carolina is the only team making a huge effort to get him, but Grimes really likes Pruitt and Rumph. It's a weird recruitment.

Tennessee lands Eason and Whitehead, they've got two really good linebackers.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Butch went after camp stars, Pruitt finds football players. The size that he's went and got at TE, Oline and dline in one class is a big deal.

19. Tenacious D

This is correct, and thanks for catching it. I’ve now updated the post to reflect the accurate reality.

I apologize on behalf of @TennTradition.

20. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I feel a math off coming on.