2021 CFB Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Sports' started by IP, Nov 22, 2021.

1. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Everyone's soccer practice van in the Nashville suburbs rocked those natty tags back in the day. Ours is still drilled into the garage wall of my parents home.

justingroves likes this.
  2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Freeman is getting the ND job

3. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

High risk hire. I assume this means that Fickell said that he wasn’t interested. The program is in the best shape it’s been in since the early ‘90s. Two bad years and it can all unravel.

zehr27 likes this.
  4. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

If that’s who the players say they want, ND is smart to listen. Especially in today’s “portal-centric” environment, disregarding the players’ voices is a sure fire route to a depleted roster for whoever ends up with the job.

IP, lylsmorr and Tar Volon like this.
  5. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

And the players aren’t stupid. There are some players coaches who aren’t worth much, but it’s hard to look at someone like Sam Pittman and not think there’s something to it.

Memtownvol, IP and Savage Orange like this.
  6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Players don't always know what's best though, they don't know what all it takes to be the head guy at a major university. Some guys are just not ready to run the show no matter how much players like them. It's a bit of a panic hire.

7. Savage Orange

I’m ambivalent about ND one way or the other. Don’t love ‘em, don’t hate ‘em but if Freeman is the guy, I hope it works out for the Irish. I honestly don’t know much at all about him but he seems qualified to at least get a shot. If he wins big there, it’ll only help open the door for more black coaches to get high profile jobs and that’s not only good for the sport, it’s good for society in general.

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

He has been in coaching for 10 years and a coordinator for like 4 years and it's his first year at ND. They are basically throwing him to the wolves to keep their class together. He will get the Ty Willingham treatment most likely.

Also how can you not hate Notre Dame?

9. Savage Orange

I don’t see it that way at all. It’s not like the Tee Martin thing where Tee was being pushed by former players (and folks with an agenda) not so much for his coaching prowess, but more to check off a perceived “box”… Marcus Freeman seems to have bona fides as a coach. His defense has been really good this season and having coached under Fickell you have to feel like he’s earned his shot. It may be too much too soon… the guy is only 35 years old. In any event, I never felt Tee was anything other than an ace recruiter who happened to do a little coaching on the side. Freeman seems more legit to me.

10. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

You might want to check his resume a little closer and see if ND has ever hired someone like him. Also players and ex players wanted him just like Tee.

Also ND has had a really good D the last few years so a drop off was not expected. He did his job.

11. Savage Orange

I really hope not, because if he fails it will only serve the arguments of folks still living in the 19th century… I don’t care enough about Notre Dame to hate ‘em…

12. Savage Orange

I’m sure there’s a racial component to the support for Freeman but unlike Tee, it’s backed up with a solid record of actual coaching success. Again, I hope he makes a go of it.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

no offense but that’s dumb as shit.

You get the absolute best coach you can get and don’t let 18-21 year olds lead you into making an emotional quick decision based on losing some players in the short term.

now he might be the best they can do, but seems rushed. especially since they were blindsided by Kelly leaving

tvolsfan and zehr27 like this.
  14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

5 years of success. 4 under a coach who seems to be doing fine without him. Tee looked like a huge up and comer under the right coaches.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Freeman may end up doing well but it was definitely rushed. If he fails it will set him back big time. Take a look at the list of failed ND coaches and where they are now.

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I wanted the Braves to get Freeman

utvol0427 likes this.
  17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Dabo is going to have a hard time walking back his NIL statements. He's lost the locker room

tvolsfan likes this.
  18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I believe Notre Dame had Freeman pegged as the next guy anyways, whenever Kelly left. It didn't feel rushed, they have basically kept everyone but Kelly and said let's go

SetVol13 and Savage Orange like this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

There are so many good and honest takes on NIL, but he chose one that let the mask slip and made it clear how he sees those players, given his compensation relative to theirs. I wouldn't want my kid playing for him.

20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Take a look at the last time ND hired their DC after a long term coach left.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    A-Smith likes this.