2021 season thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Oct 11, 2021.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I believe he will.

zehr27 likes this.
  2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That hinges on Hooker coming back for me. If he goes pro, there's a really good chance a true freshman is starting at qb

The depth isn't there yet either but by year 3, they won't be dependent on two tailbacks and 6 olinemen

zehr27 and chavisut like this.
  3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't see him getting great draft grades from one good year. He's also not going to be a 4.4 forty guy so that will hurt him. Another big year and it's undeniable, especially if he's lighting up the Alabamas and Georgia's of the football world

Memtownvol, zehr27 and NYY like this.
  4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Been a great feeling all year to be a Monday and already looking forward to watching us play this week. Been a minute.

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

There is still a large faction of NFL types that don't like the style of offense that Heupel and others run. He would need gaudy numbers at combine to overcome that... and he isn't going to give them that. Like you said, come back and do it again, against NFL caliber D's... and you're getting selected.

zehr27 and IP like this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed that any consideration of 10 wins requires Hooker.

I am hopeful the situation next season will be better than 2 tailbacks and 6 olinemen. But that is hope. Olinemen don't grow on trees. Running backs kind of do.

chavisut likes this.
  7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think Evans is going to forego his senior year, leaves you Small, Whitehead and Wright. There's one RB committed, Tennessee leads for another and I believe they'll pick one up via transfer.

Calbert, Crawford, Parker and McNeil have all redshirted or been injured the majority of this season on the oline, keep them healthy and you've got a functional two deep along the oline.

You need Willis to develop, a transfer or two and everyone else to get better at linebacker

Safeties need to be better

Alontae and Theo will be hard to replace

8. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Imagine anyone saying this before the season. This staff has done some amazing things.

zehr27 and justingroves like this.
  9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Theo has fit that role perfectly

11. Ssmiff

I like about everything so far but have to mention if we are allowing other teams 75-100 plays at times, we should have more tfls than when other teams run 45-60 plays

A-Smith likes this.
  12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

No doubt. Well, more opportunities anyway. At least they're capitalizing

13. Ssmiff

Pruitt not having Theo in that position is another judgement error on his part. Sham, Slaughter and others played ahead of him as he played backup fs

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Sham was good when his head wasn't up his ass

16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Going into the final game, UT is ranked:

38th in rush defense
    55th in yards per play allowed
    65th in opponent passer rating
    19th in points per play
    14th in ppg
    12th in ypg
    27th in yards per play
    35th in passing ypg
    25th in rushing ypg

I mean, we know the defense will be on the field a lot so total yards allowed is tough to look at. Given how much they lost to injury and transfer portal, I'm impressed.

VOLinDAWGland and Memtownvol like this.
  17. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I wonder what the rankings would be if you normalized it by time on the field.

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Dunno, that's why I tried to look more at the per play rankings

Tar Volon likes this.
  19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Hooker not going through senior day festivities.

zehr27, Tar Volon, NorrisAlan and 2 others like this.
  20. Memtownvol

Memtownvol Member

That should signal his return for next year. I personally think that would be best for him and his future earnings.