2021 season thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Oct 11, 2021.

1. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Pruitt probably would drop the South Carolina game. 0-0 game going into half before their offense makes adjustments.

Memtownvol likes this.
  2. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Care to expand on this some more? I have some doubts about this style being effective for the grind of the SEC, but I also think it could work well with better depth.

3. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Did Banks or Beasley even come off the field? Defensive depth will go a long way.

Memtownvol likes this.
  4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Not to be pedantic, but we were underdogs against Missouri.

That said, our first win against a ranked team, beating the #2 team in the division, our first win in a close game. I’m pleased, for all the issues we had.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Pruitt beat South Carolina and Missouri last year

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

would the other coaches have us top 10 offense and Hooker playing like he's playing? Not many.

Memtownvol and IP like this.
  7. Tar Volon

And easily could’ve lost (1) if South Carolina hadn’t fumbled late, and (2) if Missouri had gone to Bazelak from the start.

I tend to think we still would’ve won both games, because it was before the team totally mailed it in, but I think either one is a loss if played in November.

8. Ssmiff

outside just a handful of elite coaches, that's true for all of them, and even some elite like Peterson and Patterson, who most would describe as having a higher ceiling than JH, haven't done much. And others with supposed higher ceilings are getting fired or quitting midseason.
    imo, our ceiling is about qb play and shoring up the front 7 on defense. Players make or don't make the 4-5 plays that flip games.

9. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Bazelak did [uck fay] all to Tennessee. We were bludgeoning them with or without him back there.

10. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Yeah, I think it'll be fine the better players we get. Bama wasn't really trying to go as fast as we are when they had Tua, but they still would score pretty quick on people. Defense may have been affected by it some but they did fine with it scoring 50 or 60 a game.

11. Ssmiff

38 pts in 14 minutes. We may have scored mid 60's if our 3rd down D was even at 50%

Memtownvol likes this.
  12. Tar Volon

Yeah, I was so scarred by our pass D last year that I remembered that worse than it was. I still think we probably lose to them in November because we were losing to everyone in November, but Missouri and Vandy were our only two clear wins of the season.

13. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

You don't know that

14. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

i was speaking of record only. The on the field product looks much better. Everyone can see that.

15. Ssmiff

well i disagree. Pruitt would've probably stuck with Milton or thrown Bailey in there and we would struggle to score 14 points

Memtownvol, IP and NorrisAlan like this.
  16. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

There’s no real comparison between this years staff and the previous three. I did feel like a loss last night would have really taken the shine off of Heupel with the fanbase but considering how poorly the defense played last night, the offense was absolutely stellar. Even as bad as the D was, they made the plays they had to make to win the game. I just don’t want to keep having to rely on 45 points a game to have a chance…

Memtownvol, IP and Tar Volon like this.
  17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

JG might even still be here....

warhammer, Memtownvol and IP like this.
  18. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I do, because this offense isn't ever going to not go fast. We create mismatches by being quick to line up. It's a recipe for a 7-10 win program but it will always lose games no matter how much talent we have. At that point you have to readjust the offense, and that means actually scheming guys open with a route tree, instead of with formations and speed, which complicates the offense

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

what the [uck fay] are you talking about?

I’m a defensive guy and this offense would be a [itch bay] to stop and isn’t gimmicky.

It’s a spread power iso offense that spreads you both horizontally and vertically.

if recruiting doesn’t improve, yes we’ll be a 7-10 win program. But that won’t because of offensive scheme though.

SetVol13 and LawVol16 like this.
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Pruitt generated a win against a ranked auburn team. Because he happened to know malzahn's entire life story. He generated several losses. JONES DIDN'T DO SHIT. Perhaps one aspect which i weigh very heavily is left out of the equation for most fans when looking at a coach: the roster. Jones had a lot more to work with than CH has. CH had 34 people leave from a 3-7 team and has taken 70 guys total to competing with anyone.

Simply moving on to Hooker early in the season didn't happen with the last 2 guys in very similar circumstances their first years.