2023 Vols Baseball

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by The Dooz, Sep 29, 2022.

1. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

We have 3 catchers, 2 of them can’t hit and one of them can’t catch. Not ideal.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Give me a guy who plays the position over a guy who hits, 10,000 times out of 100

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Too important to have a good catcher over a good hitter.

4. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Tony has forgotten more about baseball than I’ll ever know, but I just don’t know what more Dreiling has to do to get a shot at starting.

5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Good sweep that was needed

Poppa T, justingroves and 10SEvols like this.
  6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yes

7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Meh. Give me Johnny Bench. Ivan Rodriguez if I am on a budget.

8. NorrisAlan

Bench was a 10x Gold Glove winner. He just happened to be a good hitter, too. So yeah, give me him any day of the week. But if you have to have one over the other, give me a good catcher.

9. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Whatever you do in the long run defensively at catcher, having Jared Dickey's bat in the daily lineup is an absolute must. Buddy was put on this Earth to rake.

The question becomes is Cal or Charlie the better overall combination when factoring in the glove skills/managing pitchers/hitting? Maybe I'm not paying enough close attention, but I have not really been able to discern whether one or the other has a better arm for throwing out base stealers. Neither has a particularly powerful throwing arm overall. Much like last year, we simply aren't the best currently at gunning down above average/elite baserunners. However it's the unacceptable passed balls resulting in all these free bases and runs that will kill us ultimately if we don't get vastly better at executing the basic fundamentals of being a catcher.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

haven’t read this, but this premise lol

IP likes this.
  11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

One peave I’ve noticed a few times with Charlie is his glove moving around a lot, opening and closing, while the pitcher is throwing. Could be just me. I don’t recall noticing it as much befor. Maybe it’s common. I’d want that thing to be sitting near my target during windup and not move.

12. NorrisAlan

This is right up there with bleach killing viruses. It might be one of the dumbest things every put to "print". Surely this is a gag account, right?

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Former Vol updates:

14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Joyce close to making Angels roster?

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Good for Drew

zehr27 and Poppa T like this.
  16. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

My take away. 1. Clearly stupid article. 2. Cyborg pitchers with rifle scope implants. Hire Seal Team snipers as pitching coaches so they can teach proper eye relief positioning.

17. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Personally, I think since Brown wanted to draft Gilbert when he was in Atlanta, the Astros should be forced to trade Gilbert to the Braves and receive a used 55 gallon Brute trash can in return.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I think neither team should get him and he should immediately be designated to the Cubs.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

The Cardinals already have Jordan Walker, who alone gives them the best outfield in baseball so no thanks

20. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'll allow it, assuming we get to see him for a bit with the Smokies.