21-22 Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by CardinalVol, May 21, 2021.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

They went to three tournaments under Smart, just as we did under Barnes and now have Beard, probably a better coach than Barnes. Again, I don't know why this is a legit question. Who knows who you would get when it's just at a random point in the season. It's a silly question to just try and shut someone's criticism up.

Look, I'm not advocating firing him. He's an alright coach. I just think there's a reasonable possibility there could be someone better there for us. And, if our AD doesn't think he can find a guy to be successful here, then he shouldn't be here, either.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Geez uni I'm not saying that to "shut someone's criticism up".
    I'm done with the convo when people go that route. Later.

3. Unimane

Ugh, you always pull this crap, get pissy about some small detail of how people talk and make it about this rather than the conversation. The "who ya' gonna get" question is silly and unanswerable, which is the point of someone asking it. So, if you want to clutch your pearls and step out of the conversation here, then it's on you.

But, it's immaterial because no one is firing Barnes and he hasn't deserved it.

4. Ssmiff

"It's a silly question to shut someone's criticism up".
    Wrong. And I'm not pissy. Just no point in a discussion about it when you say that's my goal.
    I have many times complained about offensive spacing and players not having legs due to working too hard late in the year.
    I just dont blame a coach for players missing open shots and fts. And I never will no matter who it is.

5. Unimane

So, then just say this instead of being the kid who says it's my ball and I'm going home.

And, it's still a silly question.

Ultimately, the results are on him. Kids missing shots and whatnot is short term, but he is who he is, at some point. Players missing shot could be as much about the coach making them timid about shooting as much as it is about them simply missing. I just remember a very knowledgeable and great coach in Bob Knight underperforming at the end of his time in Indiana because the kids hated playing for him, wanting the season over. I don't think it's that extreme, but there's something which makes his teams wind down and underperform at the end of the year. Even his best teams here wound down at the end of the season and not reach potential in the tourney. I don't know what it is. I fear it's simply happening again this year.

6. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

If the goal is to win championships, it’s a simple question.

Can Barnes lead UT to championships? Up to now, my answer is no. Then, it becomes a question of are you happy with the results you’re getting out of Barnes… again, my answer is no. He’s doing an acceptable job and winning more than he’s losing. UT basketball is not a laughingstock and at times play really good ball but you can say that about almost any decent program. If that’s good enough for him to stay then so be it but like I said earlier, I no longer feel like UT is ever going to be a threat to win it all. Will the next guy be any better? Who knows? What I DO know is the guy we currently have isn’t ever going to be any better than what we’ve already seen.

OneForVol likes this.
  7. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

A lot of rumors on it but one that I think carries a little weight is his Dad is a nut and too involved. The kid played at 3 or 4 different high schools too.

8. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

His resume before Tennessee also proves your point.

Savage Orange likes this.
  9. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

He didn’t want to play PG. Allegedly mishandled his concussion situation. He got sucker punched at some shitty popular AU bar.

10. OneForVol

All the bars are shitty in Auburn. Including the restaurants, stores, hotels, houses, neighborhoods, people, etc.

utvol0427 likes this.
  11. Ssmiff

Skipping over the coach's name because people already have their mind made up, I believe some people have lost perspective on our hoops program. The UT HC was in running for coach of year 2 years ago. The HC has beaten Ky more than lost. The HC has recruited better than any UT coach in history and won/tied for 1 of the 4 reg season sec titles in last 40 years. Has had more draft picks than any UT coach and ranked in the polls more weeks in top 10 and 25 as well as beaten more top 10 and 20 teams, iir.
    I just dont see how with our history people think all of that is easily replaced and believe you are mistaken.
    Yes he makes mistakes. Yes March needs to be better, but we also lost 2 March games on lucky last second plays and bounces which doesn't need to be ignored by those who like to point blame as soon as a game ends.
    Jmo.

OneForVol likes this.
  12. OneForVol

I’m fine with Barnes. Do I think he will win a national title, no. However, it could be worse and I do like beating UK more often than not, making the tournament most years and competing for the SEC title most years like you said.

He won’t be here forever and hopefully the program is in a good situation when he retires and we can hire the guy that takes us to the Final Four.

justingroves and Ssmiff like this.
  13. Ssmiff

We have 1 NC in the big 3 sports in 50 years. I dont think Barnes wins one either. Would take some adjustments and some bounces and it's apparent he's not getting any breaks in March. The Sister took care of that one year and purdue player pushing off, stepping out of bounds then kicking Lemonte all on the same play while a dude is hitting 6 fade away 25 foot 3s all game seems to support a March jinx

OneForVol likes this.
  14. Unimane

He's not "easily" replaced, but he hasn't done anything which is unprecedented in our history. So, he could be reasonably replaced, when necessary.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I think the odds of a downgrade are higher. I can’t imagine swinging big because we just haven’t ever done that

Daddy Gee and OneForVol like this.
  16. OneForVol

Our only hope for Barnes willing a title is we have that one tournament that everything goes our way. Anything can happen in March, but it will take an extreme amount of luck for it to happen under Barnes I’m afraid.

I’m still scarred from the Houston and Peterson years.

17. Unimane

True. He's a good coach and there are no guarantees you get another good one. I just think the idea Barnes has done something unique here and can't be replaced as a result isn't true. He's kind of a frustratingly consistent good but not great coach. I'd rather have him than the Cuonzos of the world, but there are possible hires out there for us which will put us in a good position.

Well, as long as White doesn't hire his brother.

OneForVol likes this.
  18. Ssmiff

I'm not sure how often a team makes a run in March without getting a couple lucky bounces at the end of games. It takes it all coming together as a team, a good bracket as far as matchups and a little luck

OneForVol likes this.
  19. Ssmiff

What big name would we swing for? Mark Few not leaving. Baylor coach not leaving. Pretty much everyone else is in a group together and no guarantee.

20. OneForVol

True, but I think Barnes may need another level of luck to win it all.