23-24 Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Unimane, Jul 2, 2023.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

We got all the help we needed. Arizona lost, Florida jumped back into quad one. Just didn’t help ourselves.

Chatter from bracket nerds on Twitter indicate that the S-curve is mostly for geographic priority and not for competitive balancing, though they may try to avoid things like the top two-seed in the same region with the #1 overall.

I think if we get first choice of region, it would be the Midwest (as long as Purdue isn’t #1 overall?), because Detroit is closer to Knoxville than Boston or Dallas. But I am not a bracket nerd myself, only trying to pick up info from those who are.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Saw a stat aimed at Barnes talking about performance in dec/jan compared to March wining %. Wouldn’t that be the case with all coaches? March you have 2 or 3 conf games against rivals usually then two one and done tournies. I assume a lot of coaches have a better winning % earlier in the season than they do in conf tourney and ncaa

IP likes this.
  3. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

No disrespect, I am curious if you know how people on the interwebz actually know that the bolded is a fact?

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

There's some real doozies out there for a potential 7-10 matchup for us which could be problematic and show the wide chasm between a 1 seed and a 2 seed. Gonzaga, Michigan State, Clemson, Nebraska, among others. None are great teams, but all had great wins this year and present serious concerns in a second round game.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

We gave them the opportunity to royally screw us, and given the last 3 months proceedings, I fully expect them to take advantage.

At this point they could drop us to a 3 and I'd not be shocked.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

The answer to this is a big affirmative. The vast majority of coaches would have this same stat line. In fact, I'd be curious to know which don't.

7. CardinalVol

Really good low major programs that play P6 teams early in season and then dominate their conference.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Lunardi has us with Duke as our 3. I’m afraid for our players’ safety, to be honest.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  9. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Not buying that. Our offense looks crap. Everyone didn’t just go cold at the same time.

We have been taking tougher shots and I bet our midrange jumpers are up significantly during that timeframe. When we were rolling Aidoo and DK were getting anything they wanted at the rim.

10. KyleAlexanderfan

Apparently it is possible to draw Florida as a 7 (assuming they aren’t a 5 or 6) since we only played them once. Didn’t know that was allowed. Want no part of that.

11. Ssmiff

We had wide ass open 3s all day yesterday from the tip

IP likes this.
  12. KyleAlexanderfan

Our 2 point percentage is abysmal.

13. Ssmiff

we got no strength down there and when Tobe does get in he doesn’t play smart. Don’t recall any of our big men pump faking to get a foul and try for and1. And we show shotblockers the ball when we go up.

14. KyleAlexanderfan

I don’t disagree with that. Seems like it’s a combination of a few things. Even Knecht isn’t finishing at the rim as well and is taking some tougher shots/angles getting to the basket. I just have a had time saying it’s all on the players and none on the coach.

15. KyleAlexanderfan

In hindsight we probably needed to bring in a transfer big man or get Estrella ready before March.

16. KyleAlexanderfan

Too bad UNC couldn’t lose yesterday.

17. CardinalVol

Lunardi has us as a 2 headed to Detroit

palm hasn’t updated this morning so still a 2 headed to Dallas.

I really don’t want to have to deal with Purdue again. I still think we can matchup better with Houston as long as we don’t show up wearing dresses and bonnets like Friday.

18. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Well, the good news is if we do make it to the Elite Eight, we won’t have to deal with Purdue, because they don’t get to play us in the Sweet 16.

Let’s not forget, Purdue under Painter only chokes slightly less than we do, and it’s only because of the head to head tiebreaker

But yes I would rather play Houston too, they suck

19. Tar Volon

The Athletic’s morning update has us going to Boston with UConn because Iowa State jumps us for the Midwest spot opposite Purdue (and Marquette is behind us but can’t be the 2 in UConn’s region). Baylor as the #3, Wazzu #7.

20. Tar Volon

Aidoo isn’t strong and Awaka isn’t smart. I have more faith in the latter changing than the former, but probably neither will change by next week.