23 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, May 2, 2023.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

2. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

North knows it only takes one hand to beat a [ock cay].

To this day Marquez North's catch that set up our upset win over the greatest South Carolina team of all time imo is still the single greatest catch I've ever seen a UT WR make in my near 30 years of existing on this planet. I really wish/thought Marquez would have had a better/longer NFL career than he did. Don't exactly remember what derailed his pro career. However I'll always be appreciative of his effort he gave UT. Dude was a dog similar to Jennings.

3. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Lol Arky at 4. That has to be a troll tweet from SDS designed to attract colorful debate and engagement with their followers. Any list like that without the two schools listed first who are responsible for putting Southern College Football on the map (i.e. Alabama/Tennessee) is not a serious list.

Memtownvol likes this.
  4. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Also season tickets: officially sold out as of this week. All 80k of them. Having an actual waiting list for season tickets again is a pretty damn awesome indicator on how positive things are looking in general for UT football. A waiting list for season tickets means UT football is finally UT football again. I prefer living in a world where UT football tickets are always a hot ticket to be had. Here's to hoping that waiting list keeps expanding and lasts for years to come.

5. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Da’Jon Terry to the portal. Apparently health issues with his mom and sister.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He hurt his back against a directional school

7. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Damn, yea I had forgotten about that but remember things more clearly being reminded that. Of that era of UT football North and Antonio Richardson seemed like locks to have a successful NFL career. North's back and Tiny Richardson's knees failing them were a crying ass shame.

TDVol1989 and justingroves like this.
  8. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I was especially saddened by Tiny's unfortunate injury situation due to my own personal connections with him over the years. One of my most formative and un-fun memories of playing HS football involved scrimmaging Ensworth in a joint preseason practice. I had the misfortune of having a world-class first hand life lesson on the natural laws of physics when I "confronted" his pulling 6'7'' 300lb+ of pure muscular ass in a gap as I was in pursuit of the Ensworth ball carrier. My helpless 5'11''/175ish lb self colliding with a literal Hulk squarely in my sternum/mouth was an other wordly experience. It literally felt like my eyeballs were going pop out of my sockets upon impact he hit me so damn hard and flush. Buddy straight up knocked the soul out of my body temporarily. Safe to say that was the last play I participated in that day as I was sent to trainer for further medical evaluation and required more than a few minutes before I began to feel normalish again.

And then at UT I happened to have several classes/group projects with him and got to know him somewhat decently on a personal level. Talk about the nicest/coolest person. He could not have been more friendly and down-to-Earth with fellow non football playing UT peers like myself.

Every person on that Oline in 2013 had a productive NFL career expect for Tiny despite being arguably imo the most naturally talented of that bunch pre his knees giving out on him. Absolutely hate that he's not a multi millionare currently.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
    TDVol1989 likes this.
  9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Kesling called him Tiny Archibald during a game

10. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Damn that sucks.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

In Order -

Tennessee
    Bama
    Auburn
    Georgia
    LSU
    Ole Miss
    State
    Florida
    Kentucky
    Arkansas
    Carolina
    A&M
    Tulane
    Ga Tech
    Sewanee
    Texas
    Oklahoma
    Vandy
    Missouri

12. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Arkansas? Really?

13. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Imagine a world where Sewanee never decided to pivot away from big time college athletics 75/80 years ago. I betcha the "University of the South" would have become a Ole Miss/Auburn type of an SEC institution. Just seems like they coulda potentially made their "brand" work ultimately overall as a founding SEC member despite their early overall general suckage competing in athletics during those days. Would be interesting imo to have found out what kind of SEC football program they could have ultimately built had they stayed fully committed to the SEC athletics venture long term through today's era of SEC athletics now being a multi-billion dollar enterprise.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Hell, I would put Georgia Tech above some of those schools.

EDIT: Shit, didn't even see Card beat me to it on his list. And Sewanee. Whew boy!

Last edited: May 27, 2023
    Poppa T likes this.
  15. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

My Dad took me to my 1st game in Neyland in 1957. Against GT.

Those were the days when they let them drive the Wramblin' Wreck on the field. And the visting Tennessee Walking Horse champ was still a thing.

As a kid, I was gobsmacked. Still am.

P.S. We won.

16. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Good ol' Sewanee and University of the South. Party Weekend up there made Animal House look like a Disney movie.

Visiting young Spanish teacher from Columbia was spotted up there by a few of our Senior members of the class. The story goes, she was partying hard. They presented her with a coon pecker in front of class later that week. Told her we used them as personal "toothpicks" down South. Even George Washington had one.

justingroves likes this.
  17. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Sewanee stories never get old. My grandfather always told my dad and his brothers growing up that Sewanee wasn’t a school that he would approve of sending them to based on the rep the place had amassed by the 70s. Then a HS friend got a scholarship there and made it very clear in his stories he told us about what his Sewanee experience how times apparently haven’t changed there at all over the years. All the blackout binge drinking secret societies, the culture of deviant antics and a four year long psychedelic induced benders seems like something else. Like sure partying hard is very much a thing if you choose to make it a thing at SEC schools like UT. However Sewanee by all accounts is just a different animal than most. Does not seem like your normal college experience. Woulda evolved into a hell of an SEC school experience imo had they never given up on the SEC/big time athletics.

18. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Those of us that lived in the counties below the mountain, where forbidden to go up there (the school). Upon penalty of death and/or permanent grounding until we were old enuff to leave home.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Never herd of this party place but you all have my attention

20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Sewanee still known for it, especially mushrooms with plenty of cow pastures nearby to get them.