4-3 versus 3-4 Defense

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by smokysbark, Dec 11, 2017.

1. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Since there isn't much to talk about, I'd like to hear thoughts on this.

It seems that the 4-3 versus 3-4 argument is a little outdated with the advent of all of the spread offenses that are being used now. I think the 3-4 defense gives spread attacks the most trouble because it's hard to dissect which defenders end up performing which roles after the snap.

That said, it seems like teams may purport to be a base defense but end up running a 2-4-5 or 3-3-5 nickel most of the time. I haven't really studied in depth what Pruitt does on defense. Not sure if anyone here has had a chance to look at it closely.

Does he run both nickel packages consistently? Each style has certain body type requirements. I suppose it depends on whether a team has an easier time developing a couple of really athletic edge rushers and tackles like the 2-4 or if they have versatile tweener type players like the 3-3 utilizes.

I just can't imagine that we can play a true 3-4 defense with the type of players we would have at OLB. Seems we will be picked apart by slot and tight ends in space.

What does our personnel look like for these schemes?

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think we'll have a harder time at getting a solid rotation at the TNT than finding End/OLBs.

Who's going to be our nose? Tuttle?

3. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

That's who I thought of but he has been severely uncoached or is lazy. Not sure which. Maybe we go with the 4-2-5. Kongbo is certainly capable of being a single edge rusher.

4. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

People associate the Bama defense with the 3-4 but they started moving away from that a couple of years ago when the HUNH started being prolific. They mostly ran the Nickel this year and this fits the talent pool UT will be recruiting for. It allows flexibility while not having to completely retool your defense to move between the 4-3 and Nickel like you would if you moved between the 4-3 and 3-4.

We have 11 total LBs on roster, only 7 were 3* or higher out of HS. We have 4 total LBs that are worth even half of a crap. We're years away from even thinking about the 3-4.

My guess? We will build a Nickel base around Kirkland/Bituli with Sapp/Ignont as depth and just pray you don't take injuries.

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Sounds like we have a coach that will play whatever defense puts the best players in the field. No more dime with Jumper on Shepherd and Baker Mayfield at qb on 4th down.

6. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

That's what he said in his presser. He said if you have four really good linemen and two or three really good linebackers, you put them on the field with a 4-3, even if you are 3-4 guy.

10SEvols likes this.
  7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Based on the presser, I'm expecting a 5-2.

A-Smith and justingroves like this.
  8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Really look forward to seeing Ignont under this coaching staff. Can't get fired up about kirkland because he's gonna get hurt. He can't help it.
    Edit, forgot I have been told no definites unless cited or proof. Kirkland getting hurt is just my opinion as I feel he just has that bug as many have.

9. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Why

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's not a Defense, that's a Jayfense.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

we ran a 5-2 in middle school, which was the height of my football playing career

12. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Clancy Pendergast bases his whole system around the 5-2 base. Pretty dang successful at it too.

13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Kirkland is gonna get hurt next year. I’m citing limpy.

14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Also it is his fault when it happens.

15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I’ve said my biggest concern is our DLine sucks and asking them to 2-gap is going to be tough.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The 3-4 is the 5-2 with some more sophisticated coverages.

That’s the key to defense though is starting with the coverage and then setting the front to that, but generally people look at it the other way.

NYY and smokysbark like this.
  17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

All of our guys can’t be bust. It’ll be curious to see the progress that this staff can get out of our current players.

A-Smith likes this.
  18. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I agree. But those uncoached habits are hard to break.

19. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I think they are coachable and can learn the technique. You have to be a strong ass man to play two gap and our players still look like high school kids to me. Our DL is not close to being physically ready to play a two gap scheme.

20. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Depending on what he wants to do in the secondary, we could very easily play a 1-gap until you get guy in place that can do what you want.