4-3 versus 3-4 Defense

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by smokysbark, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I’d say we’ll be mostly a one gap team next year with a lot of shading and slanting.

2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Which makes me harder than a left turn downtown. That's my baby.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I prefer whatever you defensive guys call the defense where you don't move and just let yourself get blocked, take yourself out of the play and let another teammate make a play. Hope he's there. If everybody does their job, our walkon lb should make that tackle in space. Don't attack. Just let it happen and tackle them as they go by. I want that defense back.

4. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

To be fair that's a lot of people's baby

5. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I would say more shade for this personnel. I love the slant technique because it makes the defender harder to "find" as an offensive lineman but it also results in the defender getting caught in a wash and taken out of the play. It also seems like it's harder to read and react to what the OL is doing. Reading on the run is easy to say but a hell of a lot harder to execute.

6. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Man, I don't know though. Playing shades lets the OL know exactly where you're going to be unless you stunt across their face. It can be tough for less physical DL to lose the speed advantage of the slant technique.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I personally don't like to slant too much, unless the team has some pretty big tells or tendencies.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

The transition to a 3-4 tends to go poorly the first year. I am glad that Pruitt preaches less reading and more aggressiveness.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I like the Bobby Boucher Jr technique:

smokysbark and BigOrangeBeech like this.
  10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Slanting against Botch was mandatory.

IP likes this.
  11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Having that big of a tell wasn’t pretty damn stupid too.

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I do it a ton. But backers know the gaps they have and we build stunts off that. We can't play 2 gap at the HS level where I am.

13. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Where we are, the guys that are big and athletic enough to play a two gap scheme at 0 or 2 technique usually end up playing DE. Normally just put the fat guy on the nose and hope he can eat blocks.

14. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I tell my nose I want him taking up at least one guard. If you can find a big with good feet, he can in theory take up two. I love slanting because it keeps the OLine from knowing who is going where. I also scout tendencies that takes me about 8 hours a week or longer. So we don't just slant for slant sake. There is a method to my madness.

smokysbark likes this.
  15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm a 4-4/ 4-2-5 man personally. I don't ever want to 2 gap anyone.

I'd rather just stay with outside shades and BDSD.

I do love a fifty front though if you actually have someone that can raise hell at nose. It makes everything hard on offense if you're worrying about your center.

NYY likes this.
  16. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

It's a mindset as well. Not all big kids have the rage to play DL. Have a senior now who is 6'6 330. He played DL his whole life but never got the production you would think he would have for his size and strength. Flipped him to OL his junior year and he was selected to play in the north/south all star game and is committed Auburn.

NYY and justingroves like this.
  17. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I had a DTackle I coached once in HS, 6-5,330. Never once had a cut back ran on him because he was too slow to get out of the way.

justingroves and smokysbark like this.
  18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

50 front in HS, against mostly weaker passing would be my only route. I might modify for certain teams, but you’d have to prove you can beat me throwing it.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

If you're willing to live in cover 1 and 0, you can raise hell that way.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I’m willing to live that way. Beat me up top and I’ll adjust, but prove it.

I’d also use the odds and date people to beat my zone from 3 in hoops. I’d win a crapload with heavy shooting practices and daring other teams to outshoot us.

NYY likes this.