6-7 years, that's how long

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Volgrad98, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Doesn't mean that its satisfactory progress, but the talent gap is closing which is progress.

It also really sucks to watch the talent not being put in the best position too.

2. juicemane

juicemane Member

Well its a good thing we play in the SEC east.

If you thought butch would have us in year 3 the same place urban and saban had their programs, I don't know what to tell you.

He is not that guy. But for the first time in a long time, I feel like we have a legitimate shot at every team we play. Progress.

3. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

You are what's wrong with our fan base.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I had no delusions about what Lyle was going to bring. I was pleasantly surprised with his early recruiting, but even that has tapered off. But we are Tennessee, and I expect better than what we are getting. Nothing more, nothing less.

Call that pessimism if you wish, but I call it reality.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Sure, theoretically we're going to end up 8-4, which is better than 6-6.

However, the upgrade of talent on the field should also be 10-2, at worst, given schedule. We as a program and fanbase should be thinking Atlanta and a trip to the Sugar Bowl this year. Instead, we're going to get to hear about how great Tampa is in January and how it's been X amount of time since this and & Y amount of time since that and how that means Butch is well on his 6-7 year rebuilding program.

Sure, we're better, but quite frankly we've underachieved this year. And I still have no confidence this group is going to magically get over the hump next year.

6. juicemane

juicemane Member

If it were up to me, we would replace butch with an elite coach today. But its not, and we won't. I still don't think its as bad as some are making it out to be.

7. RockyHill

You said you watch the games. It is kind of amazing how little we're getting out of the offensive talent we have. I firmly believe we have the worst offensive combination of scheme and coaching in college football.

8. CardinalVol

That's fair.

I just can't help but be majorly frustrated by what I view as a major wasted opportunity this year.

9. juicemane

juicemane Member

I agree we underachieved. I do think we have a shot at winning the league next year. If we flop next year, things will get ugly fast.

10. NorrisAlan

Fast won't describe it if he drops the Florida game again. Einstein himself will go "Holy Shit, I thought it was impossible to go that fast."

11. juicemane

juicemane Member

I think you're being a little dramatic.

12. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

1. I think we will be 9-3 or so next year;

2. I think that will be the best team Butch Jones ever fields;

3. I don't think things will get ugly. I think it will be celebrated.

13. CardinalVol

The talent is definitely there. It will be our best opportunity in many years.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Nah I just think he's objectively pointing out something that's there

15. RockyHill

What would possibly make you think we could win the league.

16. CardinalVol

*cries into pillow*

17. NorrisAlan

I think so, as well, as long as one of the 3 isn't Florida. Lose that Florida game early in the year and watch it turn sour damn fast.

And yes, next year will be Lyle's best year possible here at Tennessee, SHOULD be in the playoffs and in Atlanta, but sadly, I think he will not be in either. Especially if McElwain can get his offense going.

18. juicemane

juicemane Member

We have good players.

19. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

We were under no illusions about this. The fact that a majority of our fan base appears to think there's no problem being where we are after 3 years is the problem. We beat the all the shit teams we played this year, and lost every game against average and better teams this year. That's not my definition of progress, that's not my definition of acceptable, and its not my definition of a product I'm going to give any money to.

20. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

Short of laying down against VA Tech in the Battle of Bristol and then getting beaten down by Florida, Bama, and either Georgia/A&M or tripping up against one of our cupcakes I believe you are 100% correct. UT has won. They have neutered most of the morons into believing that 9-3 should be celebrated with parades. And if that's as good as ol' Butch ever is then by God that's good enough for the hillbillies. They have probably won...........but there's always that chance that Butch will Butch badly enough that it just simply cannot be ignored.