8.8.14 Practice

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Aug 8, 2014.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Apparently Worley didn't throw.

Dobbs looked better on some short stuff, there was a comment made about him not getting spin on his throws.

Peterman had some good deep throws.

Most interesting thing I've read: AJ Johnson got some reps as QB in the Big Johnson/Beast Package. Oh ya.

2. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

The criteria used to critique Dobbs is asanine at times. His arm is 10Xs better than Worley's yet we get garbage about how his ball "lacks spin."

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Matt Simms could spin the ball well. Don't want him at QB, though

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The words Peterman, Big Johnson and beast package? I bet NYY is buying his season tickets right now.

5. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Dobbs can throw the shit out of a football. Obviously I want him to get the nod but regardless of anyone's opinion of him as a player, VQ and their disciples have been rooting against him since the initial Ferg stories Hubbs' typed with his erect penis last summer.

6. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Very nice!

7. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Haha.

8. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

A WR at QB worked for Kentucky. Why not a LB working for us?

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

And as for Peterman. His ultimate shit the bed outing last year where he was impotent with what looked like fear made it impossible for me to believe that we are even considering him. If so, we should immediately go to a single-wing. He may be a practice All-American, but I struggle to recall a more shitty performance when the pressure was on. He may look like & practice like Tarzan, but I'd be more willing to play Jane over him.

I don't think there's a sports psychologist alive that could fix what I saw.

10. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Worley did throw, so I'm guessing it was a rest day. Butch said they were giving all of them pitch counts, so maybe its a weekly thing.

11. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Liked

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

For not throwing, Worley sure did throw a lot. Overall, I see improvement from the QB's.

[youtube]y7y5d3X7tsI[/youtube]

13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I don't know, IP.

14. nashvillevol

nashvillevol New Member

I was surprised by some of the wr drops, most balls were catchable.

15. KenTenn

KenTenn Only Mod Approved Posts

After watching the video, I found myself thinking the same thing. Perhaps the QB issue is less the QBs than it is the receivers. When the ball literally hits you in the hands and you don't catch it, not much a QB can do. Opponents won't let the QB walk down the field with he ball on silver platter and hand it to the receiver with a napkin and a cup of tea.

16. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I am suddenly reminded of 2005. When you have no confidence the QBis going to get you the ball, you tend to be unprepared when it does get there.

17. NorrisAlan

Let us hope (and pray if that is your proclivity) that the running game can take a lot of the load off of our QBs.

18. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

That would require a serviceable OL.

I have no idea what those guys are going to look like.

19. NorrisAlan

Which is my hope.

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This is absolutely correct, but it's not just an uncertainty as to if it's going to get to you, but where it's going to be, if even near you.

Maybe have to come back, because it's thrown behind.

Maybe have to leap, because it's overthrown.

Maybe dive because it's in the dirt / too far in front.

Or, maybe you're just worrying about playing DB to prevent the INT.

My favorite Worley throws (Dobbs had some too, last season) are when its so poorly thrown that the intended receiver makes no movement to get to it, at all, but just watches it, thinking it must be to someone else, and didn't want to interfere with it. Usually, the new "intended receiver" is a defender.