8th Maxim Christmas Wish List

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by zehr27, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

A 4-2-5 sounds cooler, too many coaches try to impress to much. It's not what I know about football, it's what my players know

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Ok. I was under the impression that you were _a gunslinger type for some reason. I wouldn't sit in my base look very much against that. My HC and I came up with a 6-1-1-3 look where the LB's were stacked on each other. Worked pretty good. Against a wing t.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We'll have to team up and coach together.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Do you know a lot about the T?

5. JayVols

Would love to coach with you.

To be totally honest, I have never faced a straight T. I've gone against thw Wing T and actually a single wing but never a straight T. I have defended the stack I. Is the straight T similar?

6. JayVols

I would like to see a belly iso out of that, btw...

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

We ran it in high school. They still run in a lot. If you do it properly, it's a beautiful offense to behold. Start throwing in the crosses and double crosses and may oh man. Do you run two tight ends or do you split one or both out?

8. CardinalVol

If I were a coach on offense I'd run the pro style I and one back sets. In a perfect world I'd run 3 receiver packages out of both with a run/pass ration of about 60/40.

Defensively I'd run a hybrid 4-4/4-2-5 set. That said, I'm a much bigger fan of odd man defensive fronts than I used to be. Just not enough kids capable of playing the nose in it in high school to make it a base set.

9. JayVols

One reason I'm very fond of the 4-4 is that you pretty much force the offense to attack your strong side on running plays. I have you outnumbered on the backside in the majority of offenses, heh, heh. That helps in game planning a scheme. If you don't play a more traditional style offense, I'm not sitting in a base. I'm throwing a ton of wrinkles at you and you better be prepared for a stunt or blitz from anywhere at anytime.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The only thing about the I is that it takes so much talent to win. That's great in a big public school, but when you teach at small rural schools you're in trouble. The great thing about the T is that it takes so little talent to run, but you have to coach hard and have physical players to make it go. I also believe this type of offense makes my team a better deffensive team.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

if a team knows the rules about x blocking to run off tackle the 44 can be attacked, but no body plays that way anymore.

12. JayVols

I had a running joke with the OC. We pretty much agreed that whichever coach has the chalk (or markers) last wins.lol

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We need to get together some time for some fishing and lying about how much we know about football to each other

14. JayVols

Sounds good.

15. CardinalVol

That's why you have the two tight end single back package in the set. And if you get too greedy your corners better be able to cover over the top. :)

16. JayVols

I would probably go to what I call a 'down' call on that. I bring an ILB to a zero technique nose. I could bring in an OLB to the inside and play a sky/cloud cover 3 look. It really only changes my cover 3 look if I get roll out to weak side. My FS flies to flat and my SS rolls to middle. I would also have my weak ILB looking for TE in the flat on the backside. I could go man on the corners with my FS over the top or keep my OLB's in place and go with cover 3. I would have to draw it out to get a better view of what would hurt me. Not a common set that I faced. Most 1 back sets I went against were shotgun spreads.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

HTML:

Id go to my bears defense. Outside linebackers walked up jamming the tightens playing c gap. With cover 1 overtop

18. JayVols

I call that a 'creep' when the OLBs walk up to jam. That down is basically a straight 50 front look. I like a drop end 50 too.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Depends on if it's double tight. If it's a double tight set it turns into a 60 front.

Jay do you like big nose tackles or fast and quick ones? I like fast and quick myself. If you ever get in the centers head, it's a long night for the offense.

20. JayVols

Yeah, I was talking about my down call being a 50 front. I wasn't too clear about that. My creep front is a 60 look.

I love a quick nose. Get penetration quick and cause all manners of havoc.