adrian peterson indicted in tx

Discussion in 'Sports' started by snoball5278, Sep 12, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

This. Guilt and other things work just as well as beating a kid.

2. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I will say that what I would consider positive experiences with my stepfather are completely overshadowed by the way he 'punished'. There was no love for him, nor respect; it's a shame.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Punishment, in any form, minus teaching and understanding = ineffective.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

5. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Same here.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

7. nashvillevol

nashvillevol New Member

I can't understand how that was not child abuse. An animal would have received more help than this child will.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the 49ers and the Vikings are pulling the "due process" card despite the fact that for the 49ers a judge already ruled he beat up his gf and for the Vikings we have pictures of the abuse. Now imagine if this was a 2nd stringer? how quickly would both these guys be off the team?

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

can you imagine the outrage if he had done that to a dog or his wife? it's sad a dog gets better protection than a child.

10. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Panthers benched Greg Hardy minutes before their game.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

that's where I am. I saw your commentary on love, but having no children of any kind and only the lefty ethos that talking cures all ills, I can understand why you don't get the difference between memorable and impactful vs. abuse.

This was to IPs post about scarring and such.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  12. JayVols

As I got older and had my own kids, I realized that it really does hurt the parent more. I also realized that the times I thought my parents weren't too fond me was actually when they were loving me the most. Spankings don't automatically equal abuse.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

and I'm not condoning what AP did here, but there's no debate that it wasn't an intent to injure. All superficial, but definitely a lesson, unless the public system undermines the whole thing by proving to kids that they are above painful punishment.

14. JayVols

I'm with you.

15. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Yep.

16. nashvillevol

nashvillevol New Member

It just looked cruel to me. I would argue that punishment as severe as this could lead to some psychological issues to go along with the unwavering obedience.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

and that is the argument that has led to corporal punishment becoming the devil. I'd argue that any level of punishment, physical or otherwise, without legit loving of a parent is the same thing.

No two kids are the same either. I treat my twins radically differently because they respond differently to different inputs. There isn't anyone on earth more qualified than me to talk about what makes my kids understand authority. I don't hurt my kids in any way and I'm not beating them with switches and such, but my wife and I are the two people qualified to mete out rewards and punishments - nobody else. Mealy mouthed psychobabble that has served to remove any stick from the carrot and stick debate in America is an enormous problem in the Gen X and Y attitudes toward authority.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

AP was over the top here in teaching a lesson, but this clearly wasn't malicious or any intent to injure.

19. nashvillevol

nashvillevol New Member

How can you make that assumption? This could have very easily been an angry reaction rather than a thoughtful punishment from a parent who was only trying to correct behavior.

I have a kid, I understand your mentality and defensiveness regarding disciplinary action for your own children. I also understand that, in general, kids these days are complete shitheads, and 99% of that stems from shitty parenting. I'm not talking about a paddling or a whipping with a belt or eating soap. This was what I would consider significant injury with that much blood being drawn, and he will be lucky not to receive any lasting scarring.

Making the connection to how generations of the past endured just as much abuse/punishment is bullshit. How does that in any way validate the continuation of such violent discipline?

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

And I am qualified more than any other to say my parents, who had your exact attitude, were dead wrong. Dead wrong.