After a night to sleep on it…

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NYY, Nov 7, 2021.

1. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Rocky top and and chanting “it’s great to be a Tennessee Vol.” Ky fans weren’t happy to say the least.

2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

[uck fay] them. They can sing it back in the mines tomorrow morning.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

DBs had hands on 2 throws that had they held on, would dramatically change the margin and perception. There are plays to be made out there, I am satisfied with the staff.

Memtownvol and NYY like this.
  4. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I really think the transfer portal is the future of CFB recruiting. You can get guys who are more up to speed on what the college game is all about and having to depend less and less on the “3 hats on a table” types will surely be a relief to coaches across the country…

NYY likes this.
  5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

18 year olds rarely make good decisions. Also, many “handlers” are out of the picture with portal players.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Payton has been just as good a success story too. The guy wasn't used at MSU and is averaging around 27 yards a catch and has multiple touchdowns

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Rodriguez and Smoke are physical backs, they are going to run through shit tackles

8. Savage Orange

I was very impressed with both of those guys. Kentucky’s line looked pretty stout too but when the stripes refuse to call a hold I suppose any line would look good.

LawVol16 and IP like this.
  9. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

This is why I’m not one iota worried about how high school recruiting has gone for us this year. I think the plan always was to load up on transfers this year. We need guys who can step in immediately and contribute. I mean…we have 3 linebackers right now on the whole roster who contribute and 2 of them are converted RBs who are still learning the position to some extent.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Heupel was a JUCO transfer to Oklahoma. Stoops built that national title team on jucos and then began recruiting exceptionally well. Heupel has seen how to build it.

Everyone involved stresses culture and fit too. That does matter, especially when you're going to take a few licks on the way up

10SEvols, Memtownvol and chavisut like this.
  11. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Good call, I forgot he was a portal guy

12. Savage Orange

I just really like the idea of being able to add guys who’ve shown that they understand and have an aptitude for the college game, along with the maturity that comes from being 21 rather than 17… I thought Bailey was going to really shine here but he couldn’t get on the field. I hope he balls out wherever he goes because he seems like a squared-away guy but it just goes to show how the difference in maturity/experience makes all the difference in the world. I wouldn’t be surprised to see top-shelf QB recruits start going to smaller schools where they know they’ll get on the field early and then transfer out to bigger schools once they make a name for themselves. If that happens, it’ll be a win for everyone. Smaller schools get to enjoy top tier talent (even if for a short time), said talent gets to play right away and bigger schools benefit from sifting out the ballers from the busts.

13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I am interested I hearing your perspective on this more. I was disappointed.
    - Never forced KY to punt;
    - inability to stop on 3rd downs;
    - 4th and 24;
    - 3 man rush that gives the QB several minutes to find an open receiver.

Very frustrating to watch.

14. Savage Orange

And yet, UT won. I hear what you’re saying but can you ever remember a game with that stat line that was a victory?

By the way, UT only punted once…

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I would’ve liked to see a little more pressure on 3rd downs. I don’t really have too much problem with the 4th and 24 call. Somebody just went to sleep out there.

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Mich St has shown the path on this. Look what they have done with it. it is a brave new world and coaches are going to have to adapt mighty quickly.

17. Savage Orange

Especially programs like UT, Nebraska and even Texas. Rebuilding programs can’t afford to miss on unproven commodities any more. When you’re a bama, Georgia or OSU you have enough depth to take in the 4&5 star kids that don’t pan out for whatever reason. We don’t currently have that luxury.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hadden was the guy the guy that let it get go I think

19. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

The inability to get off the field is troubling. The 4th and 24 was a great play call against our pretty much prevent defense.

I’m not completely sure why we are not blitzing or stunting more. Especially on obvious passing downs. I also think a big part of our shortcomings are that we don’t have much football IQ out of our LB corps.

lylsmorr, chavisut and NorrisAlan like this.
  20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

both of them..