Alpha Phi Alpha suspended for pouring hot sauce on genital

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VolDad, May 25, 2014.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I wouldn't go that far.

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If you don't like something the frat is doing, don't join the frat. It's pretty simple.

I think frats are stupid as shit. I once had a frat guy tell me that I could never have as close a friendship with my friends as he did with his pledge brothers because we hadn't gone through the same things as they had together. I laughed out loud at him. Apparently the only way to be close with your friends is by pouring hot sauce on each other's genitals.

But still, I have no sympathy for people who want to join but don't want to go through the things required to do so.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

There are lines that can be crossed. This is clearly one of them. You never know what sort of external forces might be motivating a guy to stick around even if the displeasure of the hazing outweighs his own desire to be a part of the organization.

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

If you're in a frat right now at UT and you do so much as even breath air funny, you deserve what ever you get.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don't get the frat thing, but to each their own.

6. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I'm in a fraternity and it's been a good experience for me. I'd imagine they won't be around much longer though, 15 or 20 years tops.

7. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Air, wine, whatever - everything is better through a funnel.

8. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I met my best friends through my fraternity in college. Am I best friends with them because we went through some super secret Googleable ritual shit? No. We were just super awesome dudes that hit it off well with each other (no homo) that just so happened to be in the same fraternity. If someone wanted me to buttchug a beer or hot sauce my ********, I'd have turned around and left. I went to a smaller college and the only people having any fun on the weekends were greeks. It was a good few years.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Been around hundreds of years and have members in very high places. They aren't going anywhere.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

In my experience, fraternities at smaller schools are completely different than at large schools. All my friends that went to WKU were Sigma Chi's there. They were not as, serious I guess is the right word, about it as the frats were at Tennessee.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Brother went to UTM and was in one. I thought about going there (to appease family basically) and probably would have been in one had I gone there

12. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Maybe it might be more appropriate to say that the overall experience of being in a fraternity is going to be diminished in the next 10, 20 or 30 years. It's already happening at a lot of schools. National organizations are focused on mitigating liability and nothing else.

13. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

As a member of a major fraternity now at UT I would agree with this, but I do resent people that catagorize us all in the stereotypes that makes fraternities look bad. People love reading about a screw up by a select few associated with fraternities that embarrass themselves in the media. The vast majority of us Greeks at UT are honest hard working students and are very down to Earth.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I would have joined a frat , but they were all dirty shitholes and i'd have to share a room. I do enjoy drinking

15. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I was also in a fraternity and it was a great experience for me as well, and I also could see them dying out -- or becoming unrecognizably different -- in the coming years.

16. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I was an Alpha Beta.

17. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

What short time I spent in college, when class was over (and more often than not before that)I went home.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Frats don't need to be banned. They just need to be more clever in their pranks and humor.

19. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

My Alpha Beta pledge picture:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We mostly just got drunk and beat up nerds.