America Gone Soft Comments - What's Your Take?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by volinbham, Oct 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. volinbham

volinbham Member

So Obama made the following comments yesterday

I guess I understand the underlying premise but this sure seems like a dumb thing to say; particularly the "last couple decades" part.

Bold political statement that is the straight-talk we as the electorate claim we desire or dumb political statement that seems to be one more pass the blame attempt?

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Probably pass the blame.

But seriously, the WWII generation would flat kick any following generation's ass. Wouldn't even be close either.

3. 7thgroupvolfan

7thgroupvolfan New Member

What the [uck fay] is he talking about?

4. volinbham

volinbham Member

No doubt. The 2 decades thing I think is where he screwed the pooch here. That takes us to the boom 90s including the Internet bubble. He keeps arguing that he wants the tax rates of the 90s. Why? if they are from the soft-times. While the wars were unpopular I think the respect for soldiers is at a high since WWII - no softness there. Finally, the last 3-4 years people have been toughing out a terrible economy while the government (R and D) are stinking it up. It's probably just a passing comment but man what a gaffe - telling the citizens they've gotten soft and that's why we are struggling. On the other hand, it's partially true...

5. JayVols

Political speak. They all are full of shit anymore.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Tough for me to see anything uttered by Obama as heartfelt. Pure political speak to pass the buck.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

"let them eat cake."

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Of course he is right but the argument should be extended to the culture at large. We live in a world of helicopter parents, and every kid is allergic to something, and organic food, and something called emotional abuse, and it goes on and on.

We no longer have, as Gary Cooper apparently said, the strong silent type. We live in a world that prefers coddling and enabling to bucking up and getting things done.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Children's allergies aren't because they're weak, it is because they aren't exposed to enough dirt and grime as babies.

10. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Why be anything but soft, and average?

Under his idea, competitive drive and success is penalized.

I assume that is what he is talking about.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Same thing IMO

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Perhaps, but it is easily correctable. Set them down in a mud puddle and let them play.

13. MG1968

MG1968 New Member

I've never seen the movie "Fight Club" (keep your flames to yourself, I get around to it when I'm ready.)

but I am aware of a quote from it that sums up the softness of America quite well, "We are a nation of men raised by women."

it's really that simple, political correctness has emasculated father figures, particularly those on TV.

I'm not advocating a return to tobacco spitting-cigar chomping-nut scratching neanderthalism, but damn, how about a TV Dad who isn't a [ussy pay]-whipped Momma's boy?

14. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

Yes MG, yes

15. JayVols

Where are this generation's Archie Bunkers? I blame Tony Danza.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

This might be the best message board post ever.

Kids can't play dodgeball at school, can't have winners and losers in sports. Dads (and men in general) on TV are either "[ussy pay]-whipped Momma's boys" like you said or ignorant stupid louts. I'm not a dad right now but I'd like to be one someday, and this kind of portrayal of men has always offended me.

17. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

Dad's on tv can't be blamed for all the problems, when we have so many homes where you couldn't find a daddy if you sent out a search crew

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

even more true

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Art imitates life, imo.

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

But is it imitating life as a whole or a certain selection of life?

I've said mainy times, depending on your point of view, I'm either the best or worst dad alive.