Anyone ever been through a hurricane/tropical storm?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, May 30, 2012.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I am in Cape Hatteras on an annual fishing trip with some buddies. The remnants of Beryl are supposed to hit here Wednesday early afternoon. The center is moving back over water as I type and is supposed to strengthen. To what degree is the million dollar question out here. Anyone been through something like this? I have been through at least 7 tornadoes (weaker ones). I'm a little stoked to see what this will be.

2. mmmjtx

mmmjtx Member

I have been through Huricaines Jerry (1989), Chantel (1989), and the big one Hurricaine IKE (2008). I have also been through countless tropical storms, big and small. The five years I was in Oklahoma City, I went through the famous May 3, 1999 tornado. Wt always facinates me are the rain bands on these tropical storms. I t will rain hard then completely stop. The rain and wind are much more intense nearer the center.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Typhoon in Okinawa, Japan. Lots of wind, stinging rain. Exactly what mmmjtx said, rains and stops, rains and stops.

4. JayVols

It's about to get pretty wet out here. That's a good thing if you're with your lady. Unfortunately, my wife is home. Total sausage fest here. Kidburbon would be disappointed as there will be no balls deep action. However, he would be thrilled at the industrial size container of Gold Bond (a gift from the gods) that I brought with me.

Beryl's remnants are expected to strengthen from a depression to a tropical storm. Gonna get interesting.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  5. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I've always been told to stay away from the windows and make sure you have all of your non-perishables handy and dry. Stay safe!

6. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

You big dummy.

7. JayVols

Lol

The looking forward to experiencing the storm or the total sausage fest or both?

8. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Get a flashlight and plenty of batteries! Maybe some chips and Little Debbies! Anytime we go under a Tornado Warning at my house we always get a pizza! I'm not leaving hungry!

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

You need a case of beer and nothing else. Unless you have like a poncho or a bed sheet and some rope, in which case, then you can try your hand at para-sailing.

10. WM

WM Active Member

Hurricanes Jeanne and Frances in 2004. Sat on the enclosed patio with some friends and watched them roll in. Went out for Mexican food during one of them( for some reason Mexican eateries are open during hurricanes), even got one of those huge road number street signs that hang under the traffic lights that had fallen into the middle of the road during the storm. I almost impaled my friends spleen trying to shove it on the back seat of an Altima.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  11. JayVols

Well stocked with beer/whiskey/rum. The worst winds are hitting now. We are staying in a house on the sound. It has overtaken the sea wall. It's pretty cool, actually. I just hope nothing happens to highway 12. There is a temp bridge from the hurricane last year- 12 is the only road off the islands.