Arizona vs. USC

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Milo, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Milo

Milo New Member

39-36 'Cats!!

Rich Rod!!

Rich Rod 'ball has 'Zona (5-3 / 2-3 --- L = #2 UO 49-0, #7 OSU 38-35, & #19 Stanford (54-48 OT)) fans optimistic!

Last four = UCLA, Colorado, Utah, & ASU.

:popcorn:

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Hat - what do you say, new fire in the PAC 10. Kiffin is going to flip out over this one. Nice to see rich rod grab one.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

With the roster depleted due to sanctions, Oregon and Arizona are making the return to the good ole days near impossible for USC.

4. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Kiffin will play for a national title.

Sadly, so will Urban Meyer.

5. Milo

Milo New Member

Wait until that gunslinger gets things rollin' in Pullman, WA...should add to and help make things more interesting in the PAC -12

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Might be waiting awhile.

7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

An angel gets its wings tonight.

8. Milo

Milo New Member

W/ Oregon (#2), Oregon St (#7), and Stanford (#19) the North is definitely stronger (top-to-bottom) than the South Div.

Hell of a recruiter though. Sooner than later...

9. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

All isn't lost....Kiffin lost, Gruden on the horizon sailing in....good things are beginning to get closer to us.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Pretty sure i called this one preseason. Could be wrong, but think i did.

11. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I'd say the folks at Michigan who aren't elitist snobs sitting around waiting for the resurrection of Bo Schembechler are wondering if they really got the better end of the Brady Hoke-Rich Rod swap.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Oregon state and stanford are not going to be good for long. Oregon will return back to 8-4 seasons once chip kelly gets them on probation and/or goes pro.

13. CardinalVol

What is the general consensus on Chip Kelley and how much longer he will be at Oregon out there anyway?

14. CardinalVol

What is the general consensus on Chip Kelley and how much longer he will be at Oregon out there anyway?

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Oregon is not his home state. He has no ties to oregon in any real manner. Now i can't see him leaving for another college coaching job because it takes a couple of years to get the player to run his scheme properly unless someone just throws money at him which isn't impossible I suppose. But he has to know oregon isn't the place for him long term. Even with multiple top 5 finishes they still can't recruit at a championship level and eugene is a bit of a craphole (sorry milo). My guess is he'd take any nfl job offered and I bet someone will give it a chance eventually. The lyles situation could easily get them a multi year bowl ban and I very much doubt that's the only shady stuff that the ncaa is going to find.

16. Milo

Milo New Member

Mike Riley's a good coach and recruiter, and despite the many challenges his teams complete (three losing seasons in 12 yrs).

Don't underestimate David Shaw. Lots of folks thought Stanford would fold with Harbaugh (NFL) departure, Luck and four other drafted.

I don't see Chip Kelly going anywhere---college or league. His scheme's and style would not be as successful at the next level. As far as $$$ being a motivator---Phil Knight loves Kelly and Oregon boosters and fans worship the man.
    Regarding the ongoing NCAA investigation, Lyles is dirty and that whole thing stinks but unfortunately, even if the University and Kelly are found guilty of violations I doubt the punishment will be more than a slap on the wrist, certainly nothing to cripple the program.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Riley's recruiting is terrible. He develops talent well, but i don't believe that is enough. And yes he's only had 3 losing seasons. Jeff Tedford ahs only had 2. would anyone suggest Cal under tedford is going to be at the top of the pac-12? I can see riley continue to do what he is doing. go 6-6 or 5-7 or 7-5 most years with the occasionaly outllier, but i don't see a power there. corvallis is the worst location in the pac-12 for recruiting. Even worse than pulman.

Stanford will lose at least 2 more games and probably finish unranked. Given the talent he inherited from harbaugh (probably 5 nfl players on d currently and 4 on offense) I don't find that overly impressive. Shaw is as exciting as wet newspaper. He's also extremely conservative and his qb situation will be terrible for years. I'd be absolutely shocked if stanford didn't go into the toilet. Shocked. They have zero fanbase (try selling to recruits that care about football that you were ranked in the top 10 and only drew 15K), a small stadium, and tend to attract student first players.

Tampa had serious interest in him and I'm sure others will as well. If you are say the bengals what do you have to lose? As for phil knight, kelly currently makes around $2.5 mil. less than jeff tedford. THis is after he got a raise by threatening to go to tampa. Now let's not forget everyone assumed phil would throw millions at a bball coach. that didn't happen either. Maybe phil just doesn't believe in paying a guy $5 mil a year? Kelly paid a guy $25K for a recruit and then stupidly wrote him 2 handwritten letters thanking lyles for his help landing said recruit. If that isn't a serious sanction than the NCAA is a complete and utter joke.

18. Milo

Milo New Member

Can't agree, droski, Riley's a good recruiter---evaluator as well as developer of talent. Tedford? Overall, he's not doing badly at CAL (85-57/52-45), won the PAC 10 in 2006. Losing Lupoi (one of Nation's best recruiters) at a critical time during the off-season hurt. Riley? Where did I say OSU would be atop the Pac 12? I said w/ Oregon, OSU, and Stanford the North is stronger than the South (implying '12). And, that Leach would have Wazzu competitive sooner rather than later. Let's not get off track.

Do not agree with you on Shaw either. They finished 2011 (his first yr) 11-2 (11-1 regular season and a 41-38 OT to Okie ST in a BCS Bowl) and was voted PAC 12 Coach of the Yr. As OC Stanford ('10) ranked 1st (57.6%) in the Nation in scoring once in the Red Zone and their scoring offense ranked 9th in the Nation. Currently he's 6-2 (losses to UW and ND).
    He's right for the job. A decision (hire) from within having nine yrs NFL experience, familiar with Stanford's Academic Standard, the program, the recruiting process (established relations with HS Coaches and current recruits), and is an Alum and former player.

Again, the NFL would not be a good move for Kelly. And do not underestimate Phil Knight (he's a brilliant businessman) or the Oregon Boosters. Kelly is not going anywhere.

If the NCAA had "dead-to-right" evidence they would have moved on this much quicker. As it is, they are carefully assembling and building their case.

NCAA a joke? Would not be the first time they have been accused of such.

19. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Josiah, just an fyi -- droski is a Cal fan and will vehemently disagree that Jeff Tedford is "not doing badly". Be ready for it.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Tedford is a terrible coach. Terrible. This season has nothing to do with lupio. nothing. Tedford has beaten one team with a winning conference record in 5 years. Good developers of talent, i.e. riley, don't have seasons like last year.

Shaw had 3 first round draft picks and the #1 overall player in the draft considered by many the most polished college qb since peyton manning. 11-2 is an embarassment. His end of game management against Oklahoma state was one of the most ***** moves i've ever seen in my life. He may be "right for the job" if you mean going 7-5 every year.

The NCAA waited what 4 years to put the hammer down on USC? They aren't exactly known for their speediness. Whether or not the NFL is a good move for kelly, he's made it clear he wants to go there. He won't even tell recruits he will be there for 4 years. And here is the dead to right evidence:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012