Assume, for the sake of argument, UT hires Bruce Pearl

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by kidbourbon, Feb 12, 2014.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Love it.

2. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Baseball is an awesome sport.

3. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

No - and Derek Jeter sucks. The only thing that easier to fall asleep to on TV than Sunday bowling.. is a baseball game.

4. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Awesome

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

So much venom...

6. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I have an almost 4 year old daughter who laughs at his immaturity.

7. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Poor girl - do you make her watch baseball too? I think that should be a kids punishment if anything.

8. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I disagree. While I wouldn't particularly love it, my first reaction would be that somebody at the university has decided to try to win at something.

There have been about 3,400 things that reflect poorly on the character of the school and the leaders of the AD over the past 5 years or so. I believe you are overestimating the importance of reflections as well as the impact this would have on it.

Given my druthers, I would like to see the university go out and make a big hire from the coaching ranks. I'd like to see them spend some money and bring in a guy that has proven he can win.

I don't think that will happen, and if Dave Hart is going to go out and hire the next coach that looks like he did a pretty decent job at Missouri St in hopes that he might be an undiscovered gem, I'd rather see Pearl. Hell, I'd be just as happy keeping the last guy who did a pretty decent job at Missouri St than hire the next Tony Barbee or Jeff Lebo, but I'd take the orange chested Jewish carnival barker over any of them. At least you know he can win games.

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I would have some of the same moral qualms as others have voiced, and I'd be a bit nervous about negative recruiting, which seems like it would be really easy against us.

That said, he'd win. May not win the way he did the first time, but he had four damn fine seasons in five years. He'd win, and I'd like that. We could do worse. But he's not the only one who can win here, and I'd rather get a winner without the baggage.

10. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

The peripheral bullshit in college basketball has me finding myself leaning more and more towards the professional game. Pearl's rehiring would be the final straw.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

The suck of it is this: The current admin isn't going to be aggressive and pay top dollar for a proven winner. I know it, you know it, we all know it. So I'm about at the point where I'd rather have Pearl than Lucky Conference Tournament Winner of the Year Grab Bag Candidate. But the current admin also isn't going to hire Bruce Pearl. And if we got rid of the current admin (which apparently requires even greater magnitude gross incompetence than we've gotten or death) I'd much rather get a proven winner. But we're going to get stuck with Lucky Conference Tournament Winner of the Year Grab Bag Candidate and hope he's a guy who can do it.*

*Also I wouldn't rule out another Dave Hart Public Rejection Got Me a Raise Tour.

12. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

I agree. Easiest sport to beat.

13. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I love the dumbasses that think only Bruce can win here.

15. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

UT is a sleeping giant in basketball just waiting on the right infusion of coaching

16. MWR

MWR Contributor

[​IMG]

17. JohnnyQuickkick

I've got a buddy that constantly tells me the only way we'd hire a better coach than Pearl is if we hired K or Izzo or Calipari

18. JayVols

Your buddy's smarter than you...

19. JohnnyQuickkick

nuh uh

20. JayVols

Uh huh...

The utopia couldn't last forever. It was getting weird.