Attacks on Romney

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kptvol, Aug 10, 2012.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Has this gotten out of hand? Is it worse than usual? The last couple of weeks we've seen Harry Reid, on the Senate floor, state that Romney has paid zero taxes for ten years and offer "some guy told me so" as his supporting evidence for this accusation. Maybe even worse is this SuperPAC-funded ad implying Mitt Romney is responsible for this poor guy's wife dying.

Ad linking Mitt Romney to woman's death continues to dog Obama campaign – The 1600 Report - CNN.com Blogs

Even if you could buy that a boss firing a guy is responsible for a woman dying several years later from lung cancer, the facts still don't add up. Romney wasn't even with Bain Capital when the guy was let go and the guy's wife had her own health insurance from another employer. And, well, there about 500 other things that separate Romney from any level of responsibility for this.

Anyway, normal mud-slinging, or even worse than usual?

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

IMO an ad from a super PAC is one thing but a US Senator is another. Harry Reid is a disgusting piece of worthless trash, and we've known that for some time now.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Normal Swift Boat stuff.

The outrage lies with whose ox is being gored.

4. JayVols

Is it kind of like a member of Congress accusing another caucus of being card carrying communists? This is nothing new.

5. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

It is going to get uglier; the goal being to get voters so sick of the process that they are apathetic and don't vote. Low voter turnout favors Obama. IMO TIFWIW

6. JayVols

It is very boorish behavior for sure. I agree that this is just a warm up lap for the nastiness to come.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

They already got some poor janitor to insinuate Romney causes the death of his wife. How much lower can it go?

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

This one is just sort of out there to begin with though. Is an ex-employer responsible for any medical mishap that happens after terminating an employee? Seems like an insane expectation of responsibility.

9. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

If Reid is lying, it should be very easy for Romney to discredit that accusation.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed. It is curious that Romney hasn't just destroyed Reid by releasing his info. Either Reid is right or there is something else almost as damaging that Romney is hiding.

Whatever it is worth, various Washington rumor mills say that Reid does have a legitimate source telling him Romney is hiding something quite damaging.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think unveiling the info required to prove Reid wrong would reveal that Mitt made hundreds of millions and paid a very low tax rate, which the Democrats will use to classify him as an out of touch ultra-rich bastard that swindles the middle class and should definitely be taxes more. I think Reid knows that and understands that he wins either way with this accusation.

12. hatvol96

I see nothing unfair about that. Politics is a big boy's game. It's not like anyone is claiming Romney wasn't born in America.

13. hatvol96

Didn't see many GOP members decrying the attacks on Obama's citizenship or religion.

14. hatvol96

Low voter turnout never benefits the Democrats.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Don't really recall Senators spearheading those attacks.

16. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Congressmen like Bachmann sure as shit did.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

valid questions and where were the blatant lies?

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, just congressmen and governors.

Haha, acting like the GOP are wearing white to this mud fight is going to be tough.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Calling a man a muslim that eats pork and goes to a Christian church is a blatant lie. Period.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Bachmann questioned his citizenship? I thought it was more of a patriotism issue.