Auburn fires Gene Chizik

Discussion in 'Sports' started by VolDad, Nov 25, 2012.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

AUBURN, Alabama – Gene Chizik's star-crossed coaching career at Auburn is over.

The university fired him Sunday, AL.com has learned, after Auburn completed its worst season in 60 years Saturday.

Auburn fires Gene Chizik after four years as coach | al.com

How long before Petrino is announced?

2. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Firing day

3. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Finally. I put $50 on this a while back at Bovada. Now I can finally collect it.

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Well, it was obviously going to happen. Talk about a guy catching lightening in a bottle with Newton and Fairley.....mainly Newton.

I hope they just go with Petrino so it doesn't give UT any competition for a guy I actually want.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Really amazing how high and low Chizik's run extended. Hard to argue that Malzahn wasn't the true architect behind the success.

6. TennTradition

That's an excellent point that I left out as well. Malzahn tends to bring success with him as a coordinator. I thought that his name would be in the running for Arkansas....or at least mentioned....but I don't know about his HC prospects...

7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

True; NCST fired O'Brien. Get beat by Dooley = get fired.

8. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

I am surprised that it didn't happen much earlier.

9. TennTradition

Didn't realize O'Brien was fired. Heard the speculation...but didn't see it. Guess they couldn't get over him losing to Dooley.

10. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

An glad the Vols did it last week.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Chizik was a terrible hire. Did horrible at Iowa State. He's just lucky AA gave him a pass on blatantly obvious cheating.

12. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Who's to say he doesn't lose his 7 million if they find concrete evidence of cheating by him or his staff

13. Voldeathpunch84

Voldeathpunch84 New Member

That's what instant gratification will do to you.

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Remember when those guys yelling at Chizik at the airport were supposedly made fools of two years ago? Well, maybe not anymore. Funny what happens when you can't rely upon some elite player being prostituted by his dad.

15. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Why would they go after his 7 million at the risk of NCAA sanctions ... the Newton scandal will stay buried IMO. They'll give him his buyout to stay quiet.

16. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Since the other thread was deleted before I could post this...here is my response:

What does it matter if you can recruit if you can't coach them up? You can get all of the top players every year and if you can't coach on gameday you lose. His 3 wins this season were against La-Monro, New Mexico St, and Alabama A&M. Outside of his NC season he is 19-19 at Auburn. He's 38-38 all time as a HC. Without his NC season he's 24-38 all time. As hatvol once said, "Chizik is a clown."

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He was lucky to get the win against ULM. Had a little help from the refs.

18. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

LMFAO ... Here was mine before it was removed as well!

Auburn endured the worst slide two years removed from winning the NC since 1936.
    Chizik is supposedly a defensive genius with a Texas pedigree however his Auburn defense ranks 82nd in NCAA.
    The fact that he has had top recruiting class (and a class that ranks 7th currently) works against him ... that means he can't ****ing coach IMO.
    The Auburn fans boo'ed his arrival and cheer his departure even AFTER a NC.

Hell I can do this all day

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Even that year, it took some lucky breaks to get them the crystal football.

20. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

While I think Chizik sucks, the same can be said of the 98 Vols (Syracuse and Arky come to mind).