Ball St Thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Sep 1, 2022.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

1. This is not a good football team we played. At all.

2. Defense looks faster, crisper.

3. I like the running backs. Sampson is gonna be a stud.

4. Hooker looked much more comfortable in the pocket. Made some nice throws.

5. That said, he was really high with some of his throws that scare me in conference play.

6. Milton still has a missile launcher for an arm and that TD pass is as pretty as you can get.

7. Once again, I am reminded why I don't blame Aaron Rodgers for not speaking to his brother.

8. It's nice to beat a bad team like we are supposed to beat a bad team.

9. Between the ice cream sandwiches and the signatures, the tv crew did all you could do in a blowout.

10. The fumble through the endzone is a touch back rule is still the dumbest rule in all of sports.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

The score flattered us. We let Ball State move the ball a bit, and they converted third downs at an alarming rate.

Our line isn’t mauling, and Hooker wasn’t at his best. Milton had a nice quarter though.

Hard to complain about 59-10, but there’s actually quite a bit to clean up.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'd be more worried if they played perfectly.

OneForVol likes this.
  4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I expect sloppy for a first game, but the lack of ability to run on a bad team is really, really concerning, as is the lack of QB pressure. The secondary was awful and ripe for the picking by a decent QB. Those areas worry me. Hooker can be great, but having no running threat is going to hamstring this offense against the tougher teams. The defense just scares me, period. I am interested in how Juwan Mitchell helps. I thought Beasley played much better tonight than at any point last year.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
    Memtownvol, Tar Volon and TDVol1989 like this.
  5. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I think the defense is gonna be a liability again this year.

6. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

It was unimpressive. Don’t look at the score. Look at the field. I saw nothing excellent. We didn’t seem formidable at the LOS. I don’t buy into the hiding the playbook narrative.

but no apparent injuries. Limited penalties. We won so let’s see what happens against Arm Pitt.

7. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Players just aren’t there at most spots.

A-Smith likes this.
  8. TDVol1989

Other than the first play, I found the defense underwhelming. With the offense looking sort of ok, I think this game lowered my expectations instead of raising them.

9. Unimane

The line play was frighteningly mediocre, to me. Tonight screamed 8-4.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Cb is a concern as is pressure from front 4.
    When will we see domination from Garners group?
    we will use TEs more. We may have run 6 different plays.
    They were crashing hard on the edges to stop runs between tackles. Hooker will keep those more often against better comp.
    I’m not unimpressed. We have high expectations.
    Seems like we didn’t have many injuries. Hooker had no pressure.
    Wrs looked good. Bru and Tillman come back to the ball as good as any college wrs.

IP likes this.
  11. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

Everyone breathe. Winning by 49 is never a bad thing. I love that we are complaining about a 49 point win. Better than squeaking by App St. or losing to Ga [uck fay]ing state.

Memtownvol, chavisut and IP like this.
  12. CardinalVol

I feel like I watched a different game than some of you.

peelwonder, chavisut, IP and 3 others like this.
  13. Unimane

I did notice we had a lot of freshmen in the second defense and they look the part. Also, if you are a WR and don't want to come here, I have no idea what the [uck fay] you are thinking.

Memtownvol likes this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think some of y'all may feel differently after watching more football this weekend. We looked fine. We have some things to work on, but we have some real strengths too.

OneForVol and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  15. TDVol1989

I suppose it’s a matter of if you were looking at the improvement of the team and our ability to compete at a higher level…or if you just want to pump sunshine. It’s not that I wasn’t impressed so much as we were unimpressive. Does that mean 1-11? No. Just means each game gets a grade. This one was a B- for me.

Doesn’t mean we stink. Just less than expected

16. CardinalVol

Or you are just a dumbass.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Uh, okay. What's an A?

18. CardinalVol

550 yards on offense.

Held a shutout until mid 3rd when the 2nd team was in.

Averaged 4.3 a carry.

Punted twice, one when the backups were in.

Held them to 5 to 14 on 3rd down. Amd 0 for 2 on 4th.

Perfect? No. But if you can't be satisfied with that for opening weekend, bless your heart.

19. CardinalVol

We played 5 quarterbacks and had a white running back in the last series of the game.

OneForVol likes this.
  20. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Some of you people have lost your minds. It was an A+. Growth at every position, nobody got hurt, everyone that matters got meaningful reps.

OneForVol likes this.