Barton to UT.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by hatvol96, May 26, 2013.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

2. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

If it can be for you, why not for me. Better team now hat. Be happy about it.

3. hatvol96

When do I quote crappy softball journalism as evidence of anything?

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Limpleg, I am sure returning a more experienced squad that finished fairly strong and Maymon did nothing for our ranking. It was all Barton.

5. limpleg

IP, I'm not talking about ranking. Just read what the players say, what cm says, and think about a headstrong pg that can handle the ball, shoot it, gets in the face of the other pg on D, and likes to get the ball out and let our guys play ball and finish. CM even mentioned their passing in transition in practice and sais Thompson threw an ally oop on a break that "would've had to be a called play prior".
    Just wait.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Just wait? I sure as hell think we should be better. Frankly, I thought we really under-achieved last year. I just think Golden-Barton is a wash.

7. hatvol96

Martin also said he'd have been fine with going into this season with Darius Thompson as the point guard. You agree with that?

8. limpleg

Thompson is the one he mentioned making plays and passes to his teammates that had to be called plays from the sideline the last 2 years. Tbh, I don't know. One is a true freshman, and one was told to look elsewhere. Thompson can handle the ball better than Trae and has a better feel for the game. Trae was like a mini Microwave but without the consistency and talent. This team needed the type of pgs we have now hat. I know you don't agree. Obviously, but it's no secret that these guys are fired up to have a pg with intensity on both ends of the court.

9. hatvol96

All I've said is Trae Golden is a better basketball player than Antonio Barton. I don't see how that's remotely in dispute. If Hubbs is what he is supposed to be and Maymon is healthy, Barton and Thompson will be fine at that position. If either or both of those things fail to happen and UT needs substantial offense from the point, they're f**cked.

10. limpleg

What does Trae do on the floor as a pg better than Barton?
    -dribble-no
    -defense-no
    -pass-no
    -shoot-no
    -score-only need 7-10 pts
    -penetrate-no
    -intensity-no
    -run the break-no

We obviously have a different opinion of a good pg and basketball player.

11. hatvol96

If Barton were that good at anything, Pastner wouldn't have had to sit through two and a half years of a shit show from Joe Jackson. I'm amazed at how many people think UT's messiah is a 15 minute a game C-USA guy.

12. limpleg

Messiah? we don't need a savior. We just need a pg that isn't a head case and can dribble a little.

13. hatvol96

We'll see how happy the two big guys are after they spend a couple of games in the horse latitudes between the foul lines because of this new emphasis on being "up tempo."

14. limpleg

Stokes loves to run and pin his man early and deep on the block. Getting it to him with 10 seconds on the clock, 10 feet out, and forcing him to go one on one with help coming is a bad game plan. Problem is that when he would get down court and pin his man, Trae was walking it up, trying to figure out what day it was, and get a play.

15. hatvol96

Stokes loves to run. That's why on 2/3rds of the possessions his ass doesn't make it across the timeline til the shot clock is in the mid 20s. Can't wait to see us in a running game with Stokes matched with Julius Randle. Big fun.

16. germanicus

germanicus New Member

Golden was wildly inconsistent (injured a lot) and a step slow in guarding PGs. Martin didn't do him any favors there. He saw what kind of defender Golden was but insisted on leaving him on an island defensively anyway.

On the surface, Barton doesn't appear to be a significant upgrade. Probably a wash.

Will be interesting to compare the two if Golden is cleared to play for Tech.