British Healthcare

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, May 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

i don't know how the schooling is structured over there with regards to time and paying for it but it doesn't seem terribly rewarding to go through all that to become a doctor.

3. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

LOL Start at 33K and top out at 110k USD. An eye doctor, optometrist, in the US o A can easily make 330K, work 40 hrs, and be home weekends.

33K heck I bet B.Sci level IT or Engineering pays better than that even in jolly old England. Get with the right company after a few years experience and you could have a nice 9-5 and make 80k+. What kind of taxes do the poor docs pay in the UK? Its not slavery but its definitely some type of serfdom compared to here.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think it is right for them to be paid so low, but an optometrist making 330k might not really make sense either. Surely there is a middle ground.

5. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

It was a best case extrapolation @ $40 per routine visit. Some charge more, others less. If he is fast he can do 4 an hour but will likely only fit in 2. 3 would be reasonable and not rushed.

In 2015 the average self employed Optometrist working in a partnership/group made 222K. The average for those working as employees was 116K.

@$40 per visit those guys making 222k are seeing 2.7 people per hour. Very doable. In 2015 in TX some guy reported 900k for the year.

So compared to other types of Doctors these guys have it easy and make a ton of money. The guys in the UK are getting ripped off.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  6. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Yeah. Being able to see properly is overrated.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'd say optometrists making that much are probably really busting ass. Might own multiple locations and have associates working under them. Not really familiar with the business, just guessing.

8. CardinalVol

Optometrists making 330K is the exception, not the rule. Most are going to be in the upper 100s that are doing well. Would agree with that.

We've got several opthalmologists making 7 figures though. Just depends on how hard most of them work and how much public likes them.

9. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Yep. My family is in the optical business. Not an uncommon way for them to do business.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have known the relative income of two optometrists. One made about 70k and the other made about 90k. I was just repeating the 330k number from someone else's post.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You seemed to say it didn't make sense. If he's going above and beyond and working his tail off, I think it makes perfect sense.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Colorado is getting close to single payer. It already has a safety net for anyone low income and has some sort of insurance deal anyone can buy into. But Colorado has very different demographics than California. If they get it to work in California, it will work nationally.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

what is working one's tail off? 60 hours a week? 80?

I don't know what is fair. I do know I avoid going to optometrists because they seem more expensive than warranted, especially for eyewear. Someone mentioned ophthalmologists making over a million. That seems like a lot too. what do I know? I know school is expensive, but I think that costs too much as well. If we have to start at college administrators and university frills, I'm all for it. Same with insurance and lawyers.

15. RockyHill

I get where you'd think they are more expensive than warranted, and the extent to which that were true could well depend on what your eyes are like. I'll say this though, the cheap places like eyeglass world are often completely screwing people over. It's a pretty f**ked up industry honestly. Im glad I'm not going into the family business.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I get my eyes checked every 4 years or so. I order my glasses from overseas. My current pair cost me 15 dollars 6 years ago. The cheapest option available I could find at an optometrist was nearly 200 dollars. My eyes are nothing special, aside from how dreamy they are. Just somewhat near-sighted.

I don't even order contacts anymore. I used to but stopped when I was working in a lab environment and using chemicals that you aren't supposed to wear contacts around (fumes could do bad things). I kind of liked not spending the money and decided it was just vanity to have contracts anyway.

I'll probably do lasik eventually, which will hopefully give me a decade or two off from needing glasses.

17. RockyHill

My Dad sells lenses from 40 bucks to 500, and that's wholesale. If you see fine with what you have then that's awesome, but there is value even going to the top end.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Depends on how hard/smart you are going at it in those hours. If you have a service for which people are willing to pay you I say work as hard as can you can and get what you can. I don't see the harm. And I don't see how anything other than letting someone that's self employed make whatever he can is unfair. Seems like the only way that is fair.

19. CardinalVol

They are very good at what they do, have many patients to come and see them, and have developed a method to do what they do quickly. They have a great staff and care about their patients.

So why shouldn't they make a lot of money?

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

My concern isn't really about how much money anyone makes. It's about people having access to care.