Bruton Smith is said to be considering returning Bristol Speedway to original form.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by rbroyles, Mar 21, 2012.

1. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

This is solid stuff from all of you guys. I have enjoyed reading this. Imo, the first thing that needs to happen for Nascar to regain some popularity for Dale Jr. to win a race. He does that and it brings people back. My mother told me the other day that the only way she would start watching it again is if Dale Jr started winning again. (Its the same thing as the WWE without Stone Cold and The Rock, nobody gives a damn about it without them two).

2.I think we need to add Rockingham back, repave Bristol, get Darlington the 2nd race back, and do away with road courses. I cannot stand a road course. Im sure most people like them them, but I despise them with a passion.

3. Take out pit road speeding penalties. I have thought for years this was one of the dumber rules.

4. Let people do whatever it takes to win races without any repercussions from the office. Wreck on final laps if have to, pass below the yellow line. It seems like none of the drivers wanna make the other one made these days, which is piss poor for the fans.

5. Nascar suffers from lack of personality. Imagine the feud that Nascar could have if Dale Jr. were half of his father (racing and personality wise) with Kyle Busch. It would be must see tv.

6. The current cars are not my biggest pet peeve, but I would love for them to go back to the way they were before all of this COT stuff. When, as RB said, they were somewhat modeled to what you would see on the road.

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I like the road courses; quite a bit actually. I disagree about the pits and "wreck them" mentality you've brought up. I would need to figure out a way to quantify this but between Kyle Busch, Stewart, and Harvick and then add in the Keselowski-Edwards feud, there seems to be as much end race drama as there has ever been. I still think at its core there is an image/personality/youth problem that NASCAR doesn't know how to quite overcome.

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Eliminating pit road speed limits would be the single stupidest thing any racing series could do.

4. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

1. Pretty much agree

2. If you think most people like road courses, why get rid of them? I would like to see one more added to the chase.

3. Go volunteer to work as the right front tire changer on a pit crew, and after you run out around the corner of the car five or six times while dodging the car cutting in within a few inches of you that pits in front of yours, come back and tell me how dumb pit road speed limits are.

4. No doubt there are fans who would come to see such racing, but the serious long term fan wants to see a race where the best driver wins. Those mentioned first just want to see wrecks.

5. Yeah, that would be entertaining.

6. You are agreeing with me.

5. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I guess in a way I am just listing what I want done instead of what really should be done. In hindsight, pit road speeding limits are a good thing. I guess I have just seen it hurt some of my favorite drivers chances in the past.

6. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

None of those guys have the type of personality (minus Harvick perhaps) that most of the core racing fans like imo.

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

What was the name of Bill Elliot's crew member that was crushed to death between Elliot's car and another that slammed into the back of Bill's car that precipitated the pit road speed limit? Mike something I think. Saw that happen. It was quite disturbing.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

the one thing that blows my mind more than anything else when i watch old race footage is pit lane speeds. Bill Elliot actually had a couple of incidents. but that Atlanta accident was awful. that guy never saw it coming.

9. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

They need to let Jeremy Mayfield race stolen equipment while high on meth.

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

would watch.

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

They should also let his fat 1st wife and step-mother drive in any race he participates in. Family Feud-NASCAR style.