Butch Gets One More Year

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by govols182, Sep 12, 2015.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Our football program does indeed remind me of a special child.

2. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

His reasoning is beyond asinine but I will say this. I have twin 2 1/2 year old daughters. They don't function as adults. But both of them are smart enough where if they are hungry they will tell me what they want and if they are thirsty they will tell me they need a drink. They also are now using the toilet by themselves. I think they are already ahead of Botch. I'm pretty sure he soiled himself on the sidelines in the 4th quarter and he's too stupid to know what he needs. How can you expect your team to function as adults when you can't function as a leader?

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Think about how your twins were at birth compared to now, then think about his analogy. Pitiful is the man who buys that crap. Using his analogy, these players should be all-world by now.

4. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

That wasn't a real quote.

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I believe that one was

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

To be fair he gets under mine too sometimes

7. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

My quote was fake. Having fun with the "did Butch really say that?" game.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Man. You've got the Butch vocabulary down

9. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

He may not get fired but Dave will and depending on who the new AD is anything could happen.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I am listening to TonyB, and he is saying it is too early to judge Butch. And I get what he is saying. But I don't agree.

Once you see that the company has a horrible business plan, you sell the stock. Immediately. Jones has made way too many on field mistakes that are inexcusable and he has shown no desire or ability to change them.

Also, several people have phoned in saying "If we had tackled Mayfield once for a sack" or "If they had called those penalties" or "If this or if that." You can only coach so much, players have to execute, blah blah.

Why is it that the truly great coaches never have these ifs and buts but they blow OK out on Saturday? And if you know Jones is horrible, why give him a fourth year? Why waste a year that can torpedo our team with transfers and defections in recruiting? It is clear this guy is never going to win here. Ever.

Fire him now. Gen Neyland axed his successor a question after two years because he didn't like the way he was handling things. There is precedent.

11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Butch is JT5. JT5 is Butch.

12. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

He hired him knowing he'd fail FWIW

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It's hilarious. So their QB broke a few damn tackles. What the hell else did that team have going for them? Yeah, if only our defense had 100% shut down their shitty offense we'd have been fine with zero offense in the second half.

And as far as the game getting called properly, if that's the case our offense would have scored -7 in the second half. And the fumble return yardage would have eclipsed our offensive yards output, so negative total yardage, too.

14. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I know, like, love, respect and will defend Tony Basilio, and against all comers. We are long-time acquaintances. He is a great radio host and an even better person. He doesn't always get it right, sometimes laughably so, but he tells it like it is, as best he knows it. For all of his many and oftentimes over-the-top shenanigans, he has always been, and remains, as close to an actual truth-teller as you are ever (EVER) going to find in this market, especially amongst local sports media members.

But, the man also has a radio program to run, and this requires two things: listeners and inside information on Tennessee.

And the truth is that much of the information which the local media report - including Basilio - undoubtedly comes from Jones, and his immediate circle. And they are naturally and understandably thankful for that information and access, because it is what drives 99.999999% of the local listening / reading audience to tune in, click on and open a paper.

And so an unhealthy and conflict-riddled relationship is born, and perpetuates itself. Quid pro quo, if you will.

So, the information only keeps flowing insofar and so long as the selectively employed style of reporting (and withholding) is largely favorable and almost entirely toward a mutually-contrived spin and/or angle, if not to an outright and explicitly sought-after end.

I don't know why Tony is tapping the breaks, but I do know that he is no fool, and that he almost certainly knows exactly what Jones is, right now, without ever watching another down of football from any team he coaches. I haven't spoken to him about this, nor tried to - and am doubtful that he'd even tell me what the real deal was, even if I asked (we're acquaintances, not friends). But I have supreme confidence in the blind-assed belief that if we think Jones is a fraud, that Tony knew it months before the OU game.

Allegedly. This is just me talking out of my ass, in a purely fictitious construct that has neither basis in fact nor reality.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I have never understood why so many reporters take what they are fed by people in the AD as gospel.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's all you have to go on.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Unfortunately. When it is a one horse town, you have to take all the shit that the horse gives you.

18. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Too lazy to find better sources.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That too