Butch Opens Up on Debord Hire

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by zero-sum, Feb 20, 2015.

1. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Jones Opens Up on Debord Hire, developing QBs, ...

This confirms the speculation, Jones never considered anyone else he just went through the motions. Bed is made. Expectations rising. The talent is there, depth has improved. No more excuses

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Oh, well that makes it a much better hire. Groupthink here we come.

3. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

"We've really benefited from the experience he’s gained in the last five years in the National Football League. We've really benefited from him being a year and a half off of football and studying every football program from college to the National Football League. "

The tards will eat that up, while I think that's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

4. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

One big positive:

It appears almost impossible to use "new offensive coordinator/philosophy/terminology/etc." as an excuse or way to control expectations.

5. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

I'm shocked that Jones prefers familiarity to an infusion of new ideas. Shocked he opted for comfort vs. being challenged. Shocked that he found his old friend more "fitting" than the many current successful OC's to not bother w/ serious evaluations and interviews. Shocked that Jones feels his old coach and friend is the "best" candidate. Another fine addition to the BSIA. Shocked I tell ya'

Cameltoes likes this.
  6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

He was such a wealth of NFL-level knowledge that he got shit-canned from his last gig, and then no one wanted him for two years thereafter.

And that was AFTER he got shit-canned at his last college gig, some years ago.

DeBord was in about as high of a demand as Hamilton was when he left here.

Or Fulmer.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

And I agree Zero - Jones is absolutely admitting that any discussion of an actual search was a complete lie.

I'll just sit here and wait for someone to ask him why he waited two weeks to hire DeBord, if he was such a picture-perfect damned fit, here and now?

It wouldn't be very hard to get Jones to start kicking his own ass, with a line of questions like that.**

**Read: he's not a very bright person, at all.

8. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Yes, and I hope debord is present I'd like someone to pin him down (as well) on which teams had serious interest, offered and what capacity?

Seven Years Later ...

Link? Wes

Fulmer knew then and now.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

you apparently don't understand the value of all that experience PLUS his already knowing the terminology. The terminology is freaking uge. Freaking uge.

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

He's not bright and he's not a great coach.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

He's picked his lot and talent isn't an excuse any more. This should take away all excuses for next season.

12. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

i'd be interested to hear the thoughts of the players on the hire... and i mean, the inside scoop deep from the locker room, not the shit that gets fed to the media..

13. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I just don't know how Saban does it with the different terminology and all, each time a new OC is hired in bama.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Saban doesn't bother with the offense at all. Here's what I want, here's what I expect, do it or get fired.

Saban does re hire Steele and Thompson quite a bit on the defensive side.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The best part of this hire? This is Butch's ship, he'll sink with it or ride it as far as it goes. I'm pissed he didn't bring in an up and comer, but this hire does mean that Butch sinks or swims with it.

16. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

The ship sinks. I've seen the end of movies like this one.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

We all have

18. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Groundhog Day

19. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

So our offense that was shit last year will be identical this year? Thank God, I was scared to death we'd change to something else mid rebuild.

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Now I'm really excited about bringing in a washed up coach as OC