Butch Opens Up on Debord Hire

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by zero-sum, Feb 20, 2015.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

No, I think Butch will be the one calling nearly all the plays.

I do think Bajakian did the majority of the play calling last season

2. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Jones runs his energy bus organization like a cult. You are not allowed to do anything but believe in the process. To an extent, I understand his intent. I actually agree that morale is important and its critical to not allow doubt and negativity to get in the locker room. My problem with it is asking everyone to buy hook, line, and sinker into a staff and philosophy that has never achieved significant success.

Why? Why are we all supposed to shut up and take it? No person or part of any of it has been that successful. If he were a Belichek or Saban guy, fine. Maybe we will all be proved wrong, but if I could ask Butch one question, it would be "What is it about your offensive strategy that has you THAT convinced that the single most important thing you can do as a coach is to ensure absolutely NOTHING in your offense is changed?"

Cameltoes likes this.
  3. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

These two offensive minds couldn't get out of the basement at a half ass program in a half ass conference.

4. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

U dont know VN very well do you?

5. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

I think you make a great point, but think the response from our flute player is something like "the system works... trust me... in short, i've got an alabama type system, but i've only had the opportunity to lead the sisters of mercy in the past.... "

of course, everyone else's response ought to be something like: "Chris Peterson and Boise State fart in your general direction. Urban Meyer and Utah fart in your general direction. etc.."

6. Cameltoes

Cameltoes Contributor

thank you.

7. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Thank God Debord understands the unique technical terminology in this offense. An outsider would have struggled to decipher our patented "never move the ****ing chains or advance past midfield or ****ing score a ****ing touchdown even when you're gifted multiple possessions inside the opponent's 30 yard line" offense that we run so flawlessly against Florida.

Great call not to disrupt that while its rolling.

8. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Butch is really Really not smart.

9. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

I'll give him this. He's smart enough to get a job making over 3 mill a year

10. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

but then again this is UT and they do make stupid hires

11. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

He understands people. Just not football.

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

DeBord hire reflects Butch's inability to learn new terminology, not the team's. Lyle knew he couldn't learna new playbook --decided to keep it real.

13. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

More about control imo

14. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Divergent!

15. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

He could be a politician for sure

16. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

carpetbagger

17. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I mean, I get not wanting to make massive changes and install new systems, especially when TN and KY appear to be the only teams on the upswing in a weak eastern division. The planets have aligned for us to win the East in 2015. But, I don't see where you can look at our offense against FL or Mizzou or Vandy and think we are there. Surely, it's obvious that it isn't ALL just talent. We need a little help at OL, someone to develop the QBs, and to not crumble on play calling in the redzone. You can keep the same playbook and at least hire a guy to "collaborate" or tweak a little. To sequence play calls in a way that makes sense. Someone that won't call stupid plays as soon as a backup goes in. I just don't get not seeing ANYTHING AT ALL that needs to be changed. ANYTHING!!!

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's 3rd and 1 on the goal line. They've got a DE/LB hybrid that's been teeing off, getting into the backfield instantly every snap. He's seemingly unblockable against your personnel and scheme. What do you call?

Five wide, baby. Five wide.

19. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

That's a great description.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

You're up a score or two in the third, and the opposing offense hasn't been able to do a damn thing all game. Your offense has scored mightily as well, particularly in pass protection and the passing game. You force a turnover, and get possession of the ball in field goal range. What do you do?

Shot at the end zone on the first play. OOPS! Picked.