Buying a new car. Advice?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by DarthVisor, Feb 21, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

good advice. the last car I bought it took me over 2 hours from start to finish. they try to beat you down. I also literally had 5 different people attempt to sell me their extended warranty and all the other garbage they try to tack on. they've called me to try to get me to service my car there and I've told them to go to hell. I only didn't give them the middle finger during it because I didn't have to go through it somewhere else. you can sometimes shorten this if you talk directly to the internet sales manager rather than the walk up guy whose is looking to make his commision. usually only large dealerships have this. call first.

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

We just replaced the original alternator about 2 months ago.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I drive an '89 Honda Accord 2 Door Hatchback to work everyday. Has 83k miles on it. Bought it in '04 for $500. It looks like shit, but it runs & I don't like paying $70/wk to drive my truck.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I bought a Tacoma new in 09. I had been driving a 97 Tacoma. I don't regret buying new but I won't do it next time.

5. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

My run around car is a 98 honda civic with 200,000 plus miles.

Good little car

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Wait till the weather has been nasty for a bit and then go. We got a killer deal after that first polar vortex in January

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

The end of the month is a motivator as well. The end of the quarter can be even better.

8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

That's me as well. The new truck I bought in '01 was a foolish decision in a lot of ways, but I don't regret buying it. I'll keep it until it makes more sense to get rid of it.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm in a business where showing up in a 89 Honda accord sends the message I'm not successful. in reality you would think they wouldn't want me to look TOO successful given I'm making my money from them, but you'd be surprised how superficial some people can be in that way. I still drove my last car, an infiniti, until it had 180k miles. it still looked good. I currently have a midsized lexus so it's not as though I feel the need to drive $60K cars or something.

10. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

When I bought my truck I figured up beforehand what my monthly payment would be based on amount financed. The first thing they ask you is what you want your payment to be then they nickel and dime you to either right at your amount or slightly over.

11. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

Ha my Dad is the same way. He's pretty good at it.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

faster is better.

13. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

Thank you. That is excellent advice.

14. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

??????

15. JayVols

I'm just doing my part in helping the NEA perpetuate the image of poor teachers.

16. JayVols

You definitely have faster down.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

The superintendent of my friends school drives a Porsche 911. I always thought that was bad form.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Only reason to buy brand new is the write off

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Don't be nervous, it's just money

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

That's why a lot of business owners lease.