California paying athletes

Discussion in 'Sports' started by fl0at_, Oct 1, 2019.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I see what you are saying now. I was coming at it from a different angle.

2. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Agreed in a technical sense, but practically speaking it will require the NCAA to amend its bylaws or cease to exist, which I’m completely fine with but which can easily be framed as a restriction. I don’t expect it to be dismissed on lack of standing.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

If they made it only apply to public institutions, I'm not sure that there is a freedom of association argument or not.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  4. fl0at_

It won't cease to exist. It still has private institutions.

5. NashVol11

Said differently, it’s pretty obviously targeting the NCAA, so most lack of standing arguments would appear pretextual and would likely be found as such. But I’m all for the NCAA getting destroyed, so I certainly wouldn’t mind it being that easy.

6. fl0at_

They are a bloated, monopolistic, private entity with a ton of political pull. It won't get dismissed that easily. But that is what it is.

What's their challenge, that a state can't craft a law that indirectly goes against their by-laws?

Pfft.

7. fl0at_

We need to get this passed now, just like Cali. Put the effective date off 4 years. But tell recruits, hey, in 4 years...

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

To hell with a delay date.

9. NashVol11

It’s pretty direct, and seems like it would apply to private schools as well:

Regardless, I think this movement is inevitable, whether or not the NCAA tries to drag it out legally.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

why delay?

11. fl0at_

I don't like (3) and I don't like it not applying only to public schools.

Written to get struck down.

12. fl0at_

Let it drag in court without risking major violations.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

or, form the XCAA.

14. NashVol11

Agreed. Relying on the court of public opinion, but often that’s all you really need.

15. fl0at_

This is should be very simply written:

No land granted univsersiry may impose restrictions on student athletes from earning compensation for their likeness, or work to restrict student athletes from gaining monetary value similarly to non-student athletes.

Done. No mention of NCAA, or anyone.

And now the univsersiry has to decide to stay in whatever conference forbids that, or risk whatever the monetary penalty is by the state.

16. fl0at_

More money in NCAA.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

A state should have the authority to pass something like this. it is less restrictive, not more. it is asserting an individual's rights.

We aren't serfs.

warhammer, Volst53 and NorrisAlan like this.
  18. fl0at_

It is explicitly telling a private group that it can't do something.

That's not allowed. That creates serfs, and removes individual rights.

It should instead tell public groups that it can't do something.

And then force the public group to determine whether it is associating with a group that causes the public group to break the law.

19. fl0at_

What Card posted early is right, based on Nash's quote.

They can't write it like they did.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yeah, now if the law says that a private school has to do X and Y or allow X and Y, that would be illegal. Kids don't have to go there, so they are not serfs or slaves except serfs and slaves of their own making.

But the state schools most definitely fall under the jurisdiction of the State and they can tell their schools they must abide by these laws, and if that means leaving the NCAA, so be it.

I believe the NCAA would best serve its own interests and get out ahead of these laws, because if they are not careful, they will suddenly find all of the big schools bolting the NCAA and forming the P5 League or something like that. But who are we kidding, this is the NCAA.