California paying athletes

Discussion in 'Sports' started by fl0at_, Oct 1, 2019.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I disagree. Asserting an individual's freedom to seek income for their likeness does not create serfs. Stopping a bully from sitting on someone doesn't mean they can't sit at all or are now being sat on.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

disagree. a school doesn't have to be in a particular state. there are any number of state laws directed at private enterprises, involving labor and compensation.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

They aren't doing that.

These student athletes are free to assert their freedoms ANYWHERE that isn't a NCAA institution.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This is the meat of the matter.

And, like Card and others, I don’t care if they can profit from the sale of their likeness & rights - they should also and fully share in the profits they help to achieve for schools and the AA - but the AA is going to make quick and easy work of this case.

Now, that’s solving the legal challenge...but the morality of it all, and of the willingness and want of the AA and it’s member institutions to act accordingly, is an entirely different matter, altogether.

The problem isn’t schools like Tennessee, Cal and Notre Dame - I think most large schools have deep pockets will eventually recognize (read: be shamed) into agreeing to the correctness in their paying athletes (again, I’m not saying that they WANT to do so...but see it as indefensible and inevitable). The true problem lies at the feet of the smaller schools, and who simply cannot pay their athletes in the same way, in the same amounts, or even at all. If the bigger schools start paying athletes, they’re done for, as many will simply cease having an athletic department, at all.

And, I’ll go ahead and say it - the matter of paying student athletes will have large and deep public support....for the enormous sums of money that is generated by a rabidly passionate collegiate fan base...in revenue-producing sports....like baseball, basketball and football....and which are produced on the singular efforts of male athletes. As soon as the public realizes that Title IX will require that females in non-revenue producing sports (read: every female sport, ever, from the beginning of time, and which will continue through the infinite future) must also be similarly paid....public support will plummet, if not outright collapse.

Because the overwhelming majority of the general public doesn’t care one whit about female athletes participating in any collegiate sports, revenue producing or not, and won’t agree that they should be paid for it.

Why? Because they don’t. That’s why.

The assertion that schools pay a female soccer player the same as Josh Dobbs will be so ludicrous as to be asinine to almost everyone. But that’s what Title IX will almost certainly require.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

The NCAA is free to seek untalented, uninteresting players.

The state is saying you can't dictate to someone that they can't be compensated for their likeness or appearance. Can't do it. Eat shit, NCAA.

Every other student receiving student aid or not can capitalize on their likeness and possible fame. there is no logical basis why an athletic scholarship recipient should be treated differently from an academic or need-based scholarship, and it appears to be predatory in spirit.

6. fl0at_

The NCAA has more untalented and uninteresting players than other way. That's why so many commercials talk about them going pro in something other than sports.

These students can capitalize on their likeness exactly like any other student. They just can't do it at an NCAA institution.

Freedom does not mean NO CONSEQUENCES. These students freely chose NCAA institutions, thus NCAA consequences apply.

The state telling a private institution like the NCAA that they can't institute consequences to choice is a removal of private freedom, and a no go in this country.

7. fl0at_

There is a way that the state can do this. It just isn't the way California just did it.

8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Change is coming. As far as football, someone will get the idea to start a straight up pay league for players out of high school if they can figure out a way to work with the NFL on entry into the draft. If the universities feel threatened by competition, change will happen. Such an endeavor would likely fail, but it's no worse an idea than the next spring league or other NFL scraps league.

9. Tenacious D

It absolutely does when the same person first agrees to be sat on, and then refuses to move to any location on Earth, besides immediately underneath the same person.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Now there is a law that forbids sitting on people. Matter closed.

11. Tenacious D

If I’m sitting, and you voluntarily wedge yourself between my ass and the surface I’m sitting upon.....and then refuse to move....I’ve not done anything unlawful or prohibited.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

tell it to the judge

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Found this to be an interesting point.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Problem is this isn't about the school paying the players, but rather the ability of the players to go out and earn their own money selling their likeness.

The third rower on the schools sculling crew is now more than welcome to go out and sell her likeness the same as the starting QB. Alas, we know that the rower will probably not get many offers.

InVolNerable and IP like this.
  15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Yes, I understand that, but it’s an interesting point nonetheless.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

exactly. they are allowed to work right now- but not sell their likeness/appearance.