Can Butch Jones Be Saved?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Dec 8, 2016.

1. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I didn't count 2008 since he was interim coach after Bowden had coached the first 6 games. I should have said full season.

2. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

What Stoops accomplished at Oklahoma after what Blake did to that program is monumental.

3. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

I would give him another chance if he implemented those 9 theses.

This program has probably the most forgiving fans of any P5 school that is serious about winning. The coach at UT has all of the facilities, resources, support, etc. that any coach could want. Our reputation means the school basically recruits itself. Bring in some quality personnel to coach up the players and you can win big.

Oh well.

4. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

I don't see it.
    It might/could/possibly happen if #6 is true and we get a Cam Newton type season or something. But the supporting elements more than likely aren;t there to even make this happen.
    The taking blame and cutting out the cliches, that may help with the players - but I cannot see it as a big move towards doing what needs to be done throughout the year, and it is probably a too little-too late thing.

Getting solid coaches is going to be near impossible for him. Even if he does, this is still his offense.

Its hard to see our defense being as bad or worse than this year, so I expect some bottom line improvement - but still, moving from worst to lower third or even lower half, ain't going to cut it.

Fact is - starting in March/April we are going to continually hear about the option offense and how good it is at Tech and how none of our guys have ever played against something like that, blah, blah, blah, blah . . . .
    And then Tech is going to run it down our throat and Tennessee will have another lame duck year where recruiting and attrition strip us down to the spot we were in after Fulmer left, after Kiffin left, and after Dooley left. So we even blow the halfway decent thing Lyle did while here.

5. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

Don't think that is Tennessee anymore.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

This is the first place he's actually even had a year 4, right?

7. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

All will be revealed after next season. If we don't win the East and Jones is extended by Blackburn, then erect the tombstone.

8. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

The evidence says that's true, but if I admit that to myself, I will log off and quit caring at all.

9. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Tenny has been listening to Basilio I think.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Can he? Sure. Pete Carroll said he didn't develop his style that we all know now until he was in his 50s. It's possible. The piece yesterday said the best person to help him is Blackburn. Also worth noting that his AD probably hasn't done him any favors either.

Will he? I wouldn't bet on it. He is what he is. I've seen nothing to show me to the contrary he has any desire to change.

Frankly, I don't care who the head coach is. I've wanted Majors, Fulmer, Kiffin, Dooley and Butch to all succeed. I don't want him to fail because I want a better coach. I WANT him to change and to succeed because I honestly don't want to have to start over again. I just have zero faith he will. Because he's too insecure in himself. He won't let himself be questioned or criticized because he's not got the self-confidence to handle it.

11. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

0 chance he saves himself. He's terrible.

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Merge with volnation thread.

13. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

He has certainly not shown anything in four years that would indicate this.

14. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

We grow with butch.

But seriously, he's an arrogant scared man and that won't change between now and next season.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This thread pisses me off. The majority of the points you've listed have been the points he needed to follow since he ****ing got here. He hasn't done the majority of them in 4 years. He doesn't deserve a 5th or 6th year to try. Bring in someone else who will do what needs to be done.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

yeah he's gone after 2017

17. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Did you get a severe whack on the head, convert to Buddhism, or get an offer to join Butch's team? Or, are you a fake Tenny who has hacked the real Tenny's 8th account?

18. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

We BLOW with Butch!

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Hey now!

20. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I think he's going to hell, but I'm not a Theologian.