Can I get an expansion update?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by CardinalVol, Sep 20, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Been crazy again this week. Here's what I know other than ACC ennouncement -

1. Texas isn't getting to push conferences around like they thought they could.

2. SEC is apparently NOT interested in WVU.

Can anyone give me details on these two and update me on any other rumblings going on?

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

looks like mizzu is official to the sec.

oklahoma and osu seem 90% to the pac-12.

texas and ttech will probably be forced to follow soon after.

3. CardinalVol

Appreciate it.

Not surprised by Mizzou in the least.

A couple of UT grad friends in KC will be happy they live in SEC country again.

4. WM

WM Active Member

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that league shouldn't deserve a bcs bid.

6. TXA&M07

TXA&M07 New Member

as it has been stated above:

mega merge with the Big12 leftovers and Big Least
    Us and Mizzou headed yalls way
    sips/tards/and okies all head west

TAMU polos, with SEC logo, sales skyrocket through the roof from now until kickoff of the 2012 season.

7. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Why exactly is the SEC not interested in West Virginia? Seemed like a perfect fit. I don't like their chances of poaching an ACC school now with them adding Pittsburgh and Syracuse and getting closer to their 16.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

As I have made clear in that article and in posts, I like the Mizzou move. That really opens up new markets for the SEC. Obviously, TAMU is a slam-dunk move.

9. CardinalVol

I'm finding it harder and harder to believe that 15 and 16 aren't on the SEC's radar.

I really wish this whole thing would hurry up and play out.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm confident (baselessly) that 15 and 16 are on the radar, but it has to be the right 15 or 16. They won't just expand to 16 for the hell of it. It's going to have to be schools that bring something tangible to the table. Like a Maryland, a Virginia School, a North Carolina school, etc.

Funny if we end up with Cincinnati or Louisville. Huge mistake, but funny.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also, schools that they passed over for the 14 (looking at West Virginia) might be just fine for a 16. Just food for thought.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

And I do wonder if Oklahoma can't be swayed to break away from Texas.

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I don't really care for Mizzou or Texas A & M in the league at all. It totally changes the culture of the league, and adds another needlessly long road trip for fans coming from Knoxville. We also run the risk of losing the Bama-Tenn game if we don't watch out. If we are hell-bent on expansion I wish we would include teams that are presumably Southern, like Clemson, UVA, NC State and so on. I like our league as it is, and that's no disrespect to anyone who is a fan of other teams and conferences.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

How is a road trip to TAMU or Missouri significantly different from one to LSU or Fayetteville? I've done the Knoxville-to-Mizzou drive like 5 times in the last year, and then kept going. It's a long-ass way to drive, and if you aren't up for road trip you should fly. That isn't much different.

Also, if you ARE Arkansas, LSU, the Mississippi schools... It's about as far as Columbia or Gainesville, if not closer.

15. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Well, I didn't love the Arkansas move originally for this very reason and LSU is a longstanding member so that goose is already cooked. Part of road tripping and tailgating for me is driving my own car so flying is out of it for me. Plus these locales can be very expensive to fly into from regional airports.

I have made that trip to Colorado many times also and it does suck. Around Russell, Kansas you about lose your mind.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

The days of super conferences, means a new era of super regions as well. That is just how it is.

17. WM

WM Active Member

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I like this line-up:

Reptile, [ock cay], Vol, Rupps, Bammer, Barn, Dawg

Cowbell, Rebear, Tiger, Fake Army, Tiger #3, Pig Suey, Comode-ore

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Georgia, Bama, Auburn, and Tennessee in one division would be rough. LSU would win their division 90% of the time.

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Only way you could keep the Oldest 3rd Iron Saturday Bowl in the South every year.