Cantor upset, hahaha

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by OrangeEmpire, Jun 11, 2014.

1. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I read an article which said (paraphrasing), "That a sitting leader of the US House could lose a primary election is so unthinkable as to represent a political defeat which is unequalled in the history of American politics."

And I thought that even that may be a little understated.

I have yet to really discern if its more a result of a monumentally half-assed campaign (and it was), or a surge of the Tea Partiers in that district - or both, and to what extent, respectively.

The VA GOP has already ran off and left him, and publicly, but I think that he tries to get on the ballot as a write-in. As demeaning as that would be, he'll have enough people who are close to him, urging that it's far better than the alternative.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him stage a write-in. As for what larger meaning this holds for the GOP, I'm not sure...but on the face of it, it doesn't seem to bode very well.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

1. Arrogance
    2. Lazy campaign
    3. Amnesty
    4. As a friend of mine said this morning via email, "being in leadership is a great way to make your home district hate you"

4. Tenacious D

Yeah, I had forgotten about the amnesty bit, but you're absolutely right.

What's good for the GOP might not play so well in your hometown. Its a helluva lesson to learn, for sure.

5. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Could be a good thing and then again it couldn't. Maybe some folks are just tired of these people not listening to them and wanted change.

6. OrangeEmpire

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/bestoftv/2014/06/11/ctn-ben-ferguson-jeffrey-toobin-on-cantor-loss.cnn.html?rv

7. OrangeEmpire

Immigration was the focal point.

Old Mark Levin made it his pet project to get him out of office.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

hope this is a wake up call for a lot of these old farts. i love it.

9. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

Virginia better get their shit together this ither dude better win in the general is all I know.

10. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Brat spent a mere $100,000 on his campaign and none was given by any large tea party groups. It was the utter disdain for that slimeball and his own arrogance that go him kicked out of office.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I know nothing of this guy, but it wouldn't mind dramatic house cleaning from both sides.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

The article I read mentioned the larger outside tea party spending independently in the race.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stori...E&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-06-10-20-05-45

It's still a big deal though.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I saw $300K, but it's pretty unheard of for someone to lose with a $5 mil advantage in funds.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think throwing out the "liberal arts college professor" slam from afar in Washington just confirmed he was out of touch with the area. "liberal arts" doesn't mean "liberal."

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

This was absolutely a referendum on immigration and Cantor was way on the wrong side of that for his constituents.

16. Tenacious D

17. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

There's a former University of Tennessee president who has to be fearing the same fate right now.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Good. Get rid of all the lifers.

19. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

I might add these: (1) The trip to Amelia Island (2) voting to fund unpopular programs when pubiically railing against it (3) extending the debt limit with no cuts. Immigration was the final blow.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yeah it's just filled with a bunch of conservatives