CERN may have found something that moves faster than light.

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by emainvol, Sep 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Yea. Like I said, I can see it from a theoretical standpoint, and an understanding of natural phenomenon, but not a practical standpoint. But again, I am not a physicist, and thus don't see the application.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

There is no application yet. YET. But it will end up being a very big deal if true.

3. fl0at_

I can think of... none.

But, then again, maybe the hold up on solving some ridiculous mathematical equation, or mapping a gigantic model has been that the fastest thing in the universe was off by almost 100 millionths of a second.

4. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I am anxious to see TT's thoughts on this

5. fl0at_

As am I. Was hoping he would see it when he dropped by earlier.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's not that the speed of light was "off." It's still the same. It's that there can be something faster.

7. fl0at_

Not saying that speed of light is off, although it is often rounded due to significant figures in measurement.

What I'm saying is that all equations that are based on "the fastest thing out there" are off in their calculations by some factor of 90ns.

If we take E=mc^2, and replace the speed of light with the speed of neutrinos... how much have we changed, anything? Given that what was once c (the speed of light) is now c (the speed of light) + 90 ns, or the speed of a neutrino.

8. hmanvolfan

hmanvolfan Member

When you consider the concept of infinity when related to time and space, I can see how a few nanoseconds could impact a human minds conception of said theories. News at 11:00.

9. fl0at_

Infinity is not measurable, so how does 90ns affect something unmeasurable? What is 1/0? What is the last digit of pi?

As an edit, I should modify to say that the end of infinity is not measurable, and that 90ns relative to all of time is likely to fall within a 95% confidence interval, and thus... what changes?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  10. hmanvolfan

hmanvolfan Member

I'm getting sick of them damn Vulcans coming around wanting info regarding what's the gig on our planet. [uck fay] them [itch bay]es.

11. fl0at_

I may be the only non Star Trek fan on the Internet.

12. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Sorry I've been bumping in and out on my phone until today. This would be an incredible result if true. I don't even really know what to make of it. My instinct is to say that it won't stand; however, the researchers are doing and saying all the right things. They trust their experiment, and that is what has them so freaked out - they are begging someone else to try it.

If the results are repeatable, my first question is, why? What is the special case with the neutrino? Newton's law still hold, and I would wager Einstein's theories would for the same reasons (they do very well for these *special* cases where Newton's laws fail), but what is the special case here where those don't apply that would allow the neutrino to travel faster than *should* be possible?