Chip v. Gruden

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kidbourbon, Oct 18, 2017.

1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I’m not mad. My point refined yours. Nothing more to say.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

As far as I can tell, butch's offense has been executed to the letter the whole time he has been here. It's just stupid.

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

cool

4. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

The bad thing is the offense will work when you snap the ball 10-15 seconds into the play clock once you start the drive and see the defensive personnel on the field. Butch slowed it down so damn far that every defensive coach on the planet subs in players make the play. Stupid effing idiot he is.

5. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

A few years ago, he was big into hurrying up after a first down and ran it up the gut every time. 2 and 9 after the hurry up was the norm.

I hate everything about him.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Gah that never worked. Complete momentum killer.

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

to be fair, we did set some rushing records and scored a lot of points for a stretch. Running for 250 vs UF instead of getting stuffed at the line like the last decade was nice. 38-0 run. Dobbs ended up ranking up there in passing and #1 rushing. Players and coaches deserve some credit for that, but just of a few games over 5 years is one of many issues with Butch.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I guess. Losing 3 times minimum to inferior teams and getting dominated in your own house by another one for an entire half doesn't do much for me.

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

yeah I know. Just referencing the offense and rushing.

10. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

There was an immediate drop-off on the offensive side. Noticeable even in year 1. And I'm confident the stats bear this out.

11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

key word there.

12. kidbourbon

Show cause is a thing in criminal law as well. It could happen.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yes, but it still worked quite well, even with a much less effective playcaller. The idea that Chip's offense is passe makes no sense. If Helfrich can make it work, Chip will still be able to dominate.

14. kidbourbon

I think the point to take is that isn't just chip kelly's offense. It's chip kelly.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Who would 8thmaxim prefer? Mike Bobo or a primate named Chimp Kelly?

16. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

Bobo the Chimp

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Bring me chimp kelly

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

wrong

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/yards-per-play?date=2015-01-12

2012 (chips last year) - 14th in country - 6.4 yards per play
    2013 (helfrich first year) - 3rd - 7.2
    2014 - 2nd - 7.0
    2015 - 10th - 6.6
    2016 - 20th - 6.3 (true frosh qb btw)

19. kidbourbon

Interesting. My eyeballs failed me. But they were noticeably worse as a team even in his first year. And I think they only lost two games, but you could tell from the get go that Helfrich was a downgrade and that they would get worse every year with him. My eyeball was right on that part.

20. kidbourbon

Also, did Chip ever have Marcus Mariota? That basically accounts for Helfrich's solid offensive numbers. Because as soon as he left the dropoff was sudden.

And because I trust my eyeballs, I'm going to reserve the right to come back and look at how much Chip ran v. passed. I have a feeling that Chip ran the ball a great deal more than Helfrich, and that makes yards per play not the best barometer as passing yards per play is nearly always going to be greater than rushing yards per play. But when you run more you get rid of a lot of the variance, and turnovers too, and so the offense can be even more effective despite a slight YPP drop.