Chris Low Just Called This Defense...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by hatvol96, Oct 28, 2012.

1. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

Good to see you too man. Of course, looking at your post count here, you got some work to do. :D

2. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Thankfully I do not have to play that role here.

:)

3. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

HAHA!! True!!

4. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Moral victories are for MAC schools

5. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

88 was horrible. Majors canned Donahue in mid season.

6. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Low must have seen my post where I said it was the worst defense I have seen in over 50 yrs of watching UT football. That includes '86 or any year most of those who are on here can recount. Like hat said, those other teams showed some semblance of knowing what their assignments were, and they could count to 11.

7. Low Country Vol

In 81, My dad watched the tape delay of the USC game which showed around midnight. He even woke me to watch with him. I was 9 at the time. He avoided all media outlets which was easy during that time to catch that game. 43-7 Trojans. That was followed by a 44-0 defeat at Georgia in the season opener. I never saw him so pissed. He wanted Majors fired as bad as we wanted Dooley fired now for years.

8. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Herschel Walker and Marcus Allen had a lot to do with those two results. This defense makes everyone look like Hall of Fame material

9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Dang...He needed more time.

10. hatvol96

The '81 team also promptly turned around and won eight of its final ten games.

11. Low Country Vol

We found ways to lose in 86. Don Smith and Bobby Humphrey destroyed us that year. My classmate's parents were friends with the head recruiter coordinator at the time, and we were allowed on the sidelines for the Army game. That was a brutal loss as any as I had seen watching Tennessee football. They blocked the punt and recovered in the end zone with under two minutes.

12. Low Country Vol

Right. They won the very last short lived Garden State Bowl. I don't think a december bowl game in Jersey was enticing for fans.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  13. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

It is by far the worst I have ever witnessed this season. I feel sorry for AJ Johnson...if our defense was half way competent, he'd be in the Heisman chatter as well.

14. hatvol96

The only time I've seen UT this consistently awful on defense was the first five games of the '88 season.

15. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I was at that Army game, we were well ahead in the first half, then Army started running the triple option, and we were unable to stop it. One of the worst games I attended, ranks right up there with the losses to Penn State and Memphis.